Here's a test for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2012
Catalina 22 #442 Somerset, Ma
I have no idea what make model anything on this boat. Current owner has no info. only thing he knows its a 22ft swing keel.

Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

Nov 28, 2012
and that good sir is exactly what i would think as well after looking through google..lol

Guy wants almost next to nothing for the boat and trailer....i got a few vessels to look at this week....end the year clearance event for those not wanting to pay to wrap or wintereize i guess...

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
It looks like a Venture by MacGregor to me
. I always liked those boat. I liked that boat better than the newer Mac 22s.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I'll go with venture 22. Almost bought one once, would have if it were in better shape. Next to nothing may be exactly what its worth. :)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Isn't that a water-ballast boat? My wife once said, "Oh no, no way I will ever sail in a boat where they let the water in on purpose!"

:) she is so cute!

I agree, Venture 22.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
Definatly a mac venture 22. Learned to sail on one just like that on Cayuga lake in NY. Took a bunch of abuse from a greenhorn sailor and kept afloat :) She has an iron swing keel in the 700lb ish variety. Price is right! Go for it!

Aug 3, 2012
Hey Dan; you pull your boat yet? We are still in! We are trying to go up today for a short sail. We will go Sunday, weather permitting. We are in Treman, and we have to be out by the 28th.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
Alas, I'm on the hard already. You can thank me for this nice weather though lol. Have fun this weekend!

Nov 28, 2012
its just one of about 3 im looking at. all sub 1,000. perfect time of year to buy i guess cause prices are getting low. i know its getting close to quitting time for the year and people either dont wanna pay to winterize and whatnot. but for a newbie like me looking for a first sailboat its perfect. im a mechanic by trade and love tinkering with things so elbow work is no big deal....lol

Jun 12, 2010
A venture 22 is not a water ballast boat AFAIK. Iron swing keel I believe. Faster than an oday 22, but then most things are.

Aug 3, 2012
Ah, ok. Sounds right, considering the weight of the iron. So not all Mac's are water ballast. Good to know.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Only the Macgregor 26(various model initials) were/are water-ballasted. All other mono-hull Macgregor/Venture models (except the 65/70) had heavy retractable keels, cast iron ballast in most of the keels but I think some were iron or steel plates encased in fiberglass shells.

Mac/Venture did build 2 catamaran designs, a 15 and a 36 and I beileve that neither was ballasted (although it seems like the 36 must have had some kind of ballast?).

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Take a look at the Hull ID number on the transom, starboard side. The last two digits are the year it was made. The first 3 digits are the manufacturers name, usually abbreviated.

I would never buy a boat without a title unless it doesn't require one, otherwise registering it will be a major pain in the transom!

Jun 12, 2010
I would never buy a boat without a title unless it doesn't require one, otherwise registering it will be a major pain in the transom!
I second that. If you don't know for sure the rules in your state then pass on any undocumented boat or one without a clear title history. There are too many other good boats out there to take chances.

Nov 28, 2012
ya i decided to skip out on it, looking at a Catalina 22 wed. Hopefully that goes well..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.