Here's a pic for you Chessy guys...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Seen in Greenport Friday PM where she stopped on her way North with a group of youngsters and some exasperated adult crew. But nice folks!
IMG_1049.JPG

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
30 years old and still looking good! Thanks Andrew.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very pretty bow... Where is the rest of the boat?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Is that boat really pink or it it just the picture?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah Lady Maryland is an authentic Chesapeake bay Pungy schooner. Pink topside paint was the look...kinda like canary yellow camaros and lime green chryslers :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yeah Lady Maryland is an authentic Chesapeake bay Pungy schooner. Pink topside paint was the look...kinda like canary yellow camaros and lime green chryslers :)
Art deco boats? What will they think of next?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
So... not affiliated with Mary Kay?
Nice lines. Where is the rest of it? :)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Lady Maryland is one of 30 to 40 boats in "The Great Schooner Race" from Annapolis to Norfolk every October on the Thursday after Columbus Day (boat show weekend). The starting line is an antique sailboat/tug off the Severn River/ Annapolis. Good thing to see on your way down the ICW.

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
I was putzing around in the bay one day and the Lady Maryland sailed by giving one of her sailing tours and one thing that really impressed me at that time was the rather smart turn of speed she had. Those schooners are really fast, graceful boats!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
In the Greg Pease photo collection you will see a few photos of Lady Maryland leading the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race...along with some of Pride of Baltimore and Virginia (fastest schooner of the bay).

Ron, that was Lane Brigg's "tugantine" Norfolk Rebel. Capt. Briggs was the ramrod for this race until he passed on a few years ago, but I understand his boy now skippers Rebel .

October can bring some really fresh breezes to the Bay and when it does these big historic work boats with abundant and balanced sail plans, long waterlines and beamy hulls can really move. Even the power boats can't keep up with a heavy schooner in those conditions. The upper Chesapeake has a rich history of go-fast sailboats, Baltimore Clippers and Eastern Shore Pungys for distance trade, or the lovely Bugeyes and Skipjacks of the fishing and local trade. Much of the early designs like the Bugeye were based on native-american boat construction methods- shaped logs pinned together. Here is a shot of the Edna Lockwood, a 125 y/o Bugeye built on Tilghman Island by the Harrison family, currently in the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum at St. Michaels for a rebuild.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One day when I win the lottery that would be the boat for me.... I love the look of those old boats.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
October is the best time to sail the bay. Way more fun than Aug..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
October is the best time to sail the bay. Way more fun than Aug..
August is night sailing month! More cool breezes, the air pours down the Bay. Just need to avoid the merchants, they like to roll at night.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We have a maritime artist Pease of our own around here.
http://www.cindypeaseroe.com/bio/
But your Greg does some awesome work.
Traditional watercraft are so attractive because they are born of need for functional working vessels. And the fact that they are often made of local materials, and with local techniques makes them a floating history lesson.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
Not much of a cool breeze in the north bay. Maybe I should come south more often. But you are right about the big guys. They come down out of the C&D like a freight train.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
One day when I win the lottery that would be the boat for me
If you had been around about 20 years ago when the oyster industry crashed you could have picked up a skipjack for the price of towing...you notice these oyster boats have no engine. By law they had to dredge under sail. But when it was time to head for the barn, they hooked up their push boat - stubby little dinks with monster engines. The bow fit to a stern bracket on the Bugeye/Skipjack. Innovative they were!