Help'

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john rupnow

I have taken several sailing classes, which I have truly enjoyed, and have decided that I would like to purchase my own boat. I have found a center cockpit 45' Columbia which needs a considerable amount of work. Since I am quite skilled at all construction trades and have my summers free, I am confident I could refurbish the boat to like-new condition. However, if I invest this time, energy and money I would like to be assured that I will have something of value at the end. I would appreciate any response to the following questions. Is the 45' Columbia a good boat? (I am primarily interest in cruising) With the appropriate help from technology (autopilot) etc. , will I be able to sail it by myself. I would appreciate answers to the above questions and/or other advice. I can be contacted at jr82314@alltel.net thanks, john

J

John K. Quick

Columbia 45 owner

Hey John.... I've beens sailing for a little over 22 years now. I have owned my Columbia 45 for 1 yr now. I am well impressed by its performance and structure. It's certainly roomy and stable. I have even outsailed comparable other boats that weren't motorsailers. Certainly shocking to me. In any event, I am pleased enough to stop trading up. Pleased enough to make this boat pristeen regardless of effort or cost. Mine was purchased in St Augustine and currently lies in St Petersburg. It indeed was a comfortable and fun experience bringing it around Florida, last spring. Now, I do have the Perkins 85. So, I recommend finding one with that power. Some have 50's. Although I haven't cruised one with the 50, I'm sure that you'd be more satisfied with the larger Engine. By the way.... are you considering Evening Star... in Lauderdale? I can be reached at J6626@Yahoo.com John Quick

C

Cam

Columbia 45

I only have a Columbia 36. If you like the 45, and you spend time and money fixing it up, you will have something of great value to *you*, but maybe not to anyone else. The 45 is a beautiful boat. I love my 36, but would swap for a 45 if I could afford it. Anyone I've ever known with a 45 has loved it. In fact the only person I know of who sold his 45 did so because of health problems. It is a magnificent sailing vessel, and it is very roomy and comfortable. What more could you ask. As for single handing, I believe several 45 owners single hand. You need to have all lines brought back to the cockpit, but otherwise it should not be a problem. Keep in mind that when you pull into a slip it is very nice to have someone around to help you. At my marina, I can call ahead and one or two of the young guys that work there will be waiting for me to pull in. Go for it. Cam Whetstone s/v C36 - Wolf's Den Baltimore, Md.

B

Bill Kerr

gotta say it

get a small boat first. I've seen many sailors start out with too much boat. small boats sail better and will help you learn the needed skills (and cause the inevitable Rookie damage) at an affordable rate and Right Away. If your S.O. doesn't like "camping" on a (23'-25') they won't ever really go for cruising. Buy a big boat to work on... but buy a small boat if you like to spend time on the water. Bill Kerr

Status
Not open for further replies.