Help with wiring for new engine

Apr 24, 2024
Catalina 309 Morro Bay
We rec'd a new Yanmar 3YM20 and installed it today with only a few issues. The last problem we are facing is figuring out is connecting the engine wiring to the gages at the pedestal. The engine came with a new gage cluster and wiring harness that isn't a one-to-one switch. Fitting the new panel it into the pedestal is going to be a real challenge. Has anyone here tackled the transition to the new gage cluster?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yanmar is not noted for building robust wiring harnesses, so ditching the old one would get my vote. There may also be compatibility issues with the Tach. Yanmar has used 2 methods, one reading off the alternator and a second method is reading the teeth on the flywheel.

It appears Catalina made their own panel. Fuel gauges are not usually part of the engine cluster and are wired separately. The Voltmeter is pretty crude, I wouldn't miss it. The only gauge you will lose is the temp gauge, I'm sure there are some after market gauges and sensors you can install.

You can fill the big hole on the pedestal with a piece of Starboard and mount the new Yanmar panel and the fuel gauge on it. You could also use a piece of aluminum and have it powder coated to match the pedestal.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup, the temp gauge sensor on the old engine can be put on the new engine.. find the wires for the "stop" solenoid and the "start" button and everything except the tachometer should be fine.. If the new tach can fit in the old panel by opening up the original hole (if it is indeed bigger; it looks bigger) .. then stuff kinda remains on the pedestal.

Apr 24, 2024
Catalina 309 Morro Bay
Thank you very much for the input and suggestions. Very helpful to understand the existing configuration. We will hope for the best to get it all sorted out with the input.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
On my older C30, the engine controls were on the port cockpit side wall.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
It looks like the new gauge has everything all in one. There is a digital display at the bottom that likely scrolls through the readings. I like having the fuel and temperature separate, perhaps you can keep those. You could simplify and go to a single gauge if you wanted.