Help with self tendin jib

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave S.

I bought V2-24 (1972) a while back and am finaly ready to launch her under sail. I dicovered that I can'nt figure out how to thread the sheets for the self tending jib boom. There are three sheaves conected to the boom. One at the forward end, one on top of the boom at the aft end, and one (a double with a large sheave on top of a small one) hanging about 8 inches frome the aft end. There is a setup for two sheets on the port side of the cockpit. Two jamcleats with two fairleads in front of them. There is also a sheave mounted on the cabin at the centerline. I assume this is like a pivot point for a sheet. Any help would be appreciated.

M

Mark

Knot knowing anything

Dave, Sounds like you are looking at three different systems. First off, you are talking about the main and not the jib. The fore block is most likely on the bottom of the boom and is for your vang. This should connect to a block near the base of your mast and is meant to pull the front edge of your main sail tight. The block that is near the aft end of the boom on top sounds like a topping lift. It provides support for the boom when the main sail is down. Finally, the double sheave, actually called a "fiddle block" is your control line for the main sail. On one side of the boat you should have an eyelet to tie off the main sheet. From there, the sheet line should pass through the small (lower) sheave of the fiddle block. Then it should run to the other side of the boat through a single block and return to the larger upper sheave of the fiddle. At that point, you are down to a fairlead, pulley, etc into a popup and a cam cleat or otherwise. This is your control line for the main sail. The camcleats you describe are most likely for the jib (port and starboard). The mainsheet blocks and cleats are nearly off the back of the boat on either side. My jib setup is a geneoa track with popup block leading to a winch and jamb cleat on both sides of the boat...main sheet is 6-8 inches from the stern on either side. -Mark

D

Dave S.

JIB NOT MAIN

Mark thanks for your reply. I AM REFERING TO THE JIB BOOM. iT IS ATTACHED TO THE FOR DECK ON A TYPE OF SWIVEL.

M

Mark

All in Knots

Like I said, I was Knot knowing anything. From your description it sounded very much like a full bells and whistles main boom with a topping lift or lazy jacks and a vang. I have no experience with the setup you are describing so I will bow out, sit back and watch for a response that is relevant to your question and hopefully learn along with you. Sorry for jumping in and making assumptions.

D

Dave S.

No need for apology

Mark, don't sweat it. You were the only one gracious enough to respond out of three different forums. I think I have it pretty much figured out. One sheet ties off to the aft end of the foot of the jib (forgot what is called). Then goes into the block at the upper rear of the boom, from there it goes through the block at the forward end of the boom, and hence to the cockpit. this should allow me to adjust the tightness of the foot without interfering with the swing of the boom. I think the other sheet has to tie off to the rear of the boom and go through the double block and then through the block on the cabin top and then to the cockpit. I guess the double block is to give me more purchase when sheeting in. Thank again Mark and HAPPY SAILING. DAVE

Status
Not open for further replies.