HELP! with outhaul line replacement

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
1994 Hunter 40.5. I started to replace the outhaul line on my 40.5, which is looking pretty ratty. The line runs inside the boom and has a set of blocks to increase the purchase but I can't figure out how to replace it. It looks the termination point of the line is on one of the blocks that is fixed inside of the boom rather than the block that can be pulled out the aft end of the boom. Why on earth you'd design it such that you have to remove the boom and the ends to replace this line is beyond me as an engineer. Below is a crude sketch. Does anyone have experience with replacing this line and can it be done without removing the boom and the forward cap.

Outhaul sketch.jpg

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Trained rat?

Sorry for being facetious. I really did give it some thought, but it looks like major surgery is the only solution.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
1994 Hunter 40.5. I started to replace the outhaul line on my 40.5, which is looking pretty ratty. The line runs inside the boom and has a set of blocks to increase the purchase but I can't figure out how to replace it. It looks the termination point of the line is on one of the blocks that is fixed inside of the boom rather than the block that can be pulled out the aft end of the boom. Why on earth you'd design it such that you have to remove the boom and the ends to replace this line is beyond me as an engineer. Below is a crude sketch. Does anyone have experience with replacing this line and can it be done without removing the boom and the forward cap.

View attachment 227860
I'm pretty sure I did that, but having owned the boat for 25 years, I sure don't remember how... What about a splice into a good section???