Help with Jib sheet size/length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Hi all, can someone please give me the length and size of the standard Jib sheets for a H26. There used to be a link to the H26 manual on line. But it is not working and my manual is on the boat, 2 hours away. Thanks Chris

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Planing factors

You did not say what jib size you need it for so assume the smallest and it should work for all the larger ones.
As a geeral rule, use the length of the boat for jib sheets. That gives you enough to have the lazy sheet go around the mast and still have the other end in the cockpit.
I'd go with 26'

Jun 1, 2004
Thanks Bill, as far as I know the h26, being a B&R comes with only the one size jib. I will order 52 ft. Do you have any recommendations as to the thickness or kind of line to order? Thanks Chris

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
I think 52 feet will be more than enough. New England Sta Set or Samson XLS would be plenty and 3/8 would be good for handling unless your hardware requires a smaller size.

PS: There is a handy line calculator on this site.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2004
One more quick question should I allow more for a furler as opposed to regular hanked on?

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
If you go with that recommended length (way long IYAM unless you have like a 150) you'll have plenty to use on a furler. Note: this is not hi-tech line so having extra is no big deal. Better to be a little long than too short. The only extra amount needed for a furler vs hank-on is a couple of wraps of sheet line when furled.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Jib-sheet lengths

To calculate jib-sheet length, add it up:

Clew to the winch;
Enough for the tail (past the winch) and cleat;
Foot of sail;
Twice that-- because the other sheet has to make it to the winch before you come about.

Therefore on my 1974 H25, for the 110 jib:
+4
+11
----
x2
----
50 ft.

For a 150:
+4
+15
----
25 ft
x2
----
50 ft

See how that works? :)

Actually each of mine are like 55 ft.

Note that spinnaker sheets are actually shorter than jib sheets, because the two clews never actually change places; they just stop at the headstay (for an asymmetrical/'cruising spinnaker' even less). Mine are 35 ft each.

All my sheets are 3/8"-dia Sampson XLS or Yale ULS. Perhaps some could be 5/16"; but no one wants to hold a line that's too small for comfort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.