Help with Hood 810 LD diagnosis/repair

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Has anyone successfully rebuilt an 810LD furler drive assembly? I have parts falling out the bottom of the drive, and have to start evaluating a potential repair. I will try to post pics later today, but any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Atlanta, Georgia
I just installed a used hood 810 LD on my 1980 hunter 36 and the folks at hood were very helpful. (it is now a division of Pompanette) their phone number is 813 885 2182.. they are in Tampa. They had spare parts and also exploded drawings of the unit. I had heard many negative things about the continuous line systems but mine works well.. Good Luck

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Talked to Marti at Pompanette this morning, the parts I think I need are available, except for one, and I can reuse mine.

We got the jib down and stowed, and the jib halyard will become a temporary stay. Tomorrow we are pulling into a Marina to wait out a blow, and I will rig that stay, ease the back stay, and remove the forestay at the stem. The drive assembly will slide off the bottom, and I can take it on shore and evaluate the "rebuild". That way, I'm more certain of only placing one order.

If we want to try the repair, the parts I've identified so far would run about $150. May be worth taking a flier. On the other hand, as Jackdaw said, this is an opportunity for an upgrade, and Pompanette's upgrade pricing make that pretty easy, relatively speaking.

I'll know a lot more tomorrow.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have a different question about my Hood furler. I pulled my jib off on Saturday to have the UV sun cover resewn, but when I lowered the sail, the plastic bushing inside the halyard end swivel car fell out, and almost hit me on the head. Luckily it did not go overboard, but it took me a minute or two to figure out what it was and where it came from.
2018-03-24 16.56.04.jpg

It is not broken, but I cannot figure out how to get it back on over the foil extrusion. I think I have figured out how it came loose though.

forestay top w sail.jpg
It looks like I have about 8"-10" of fore-stay at the top that does not have extrusion surrounding it, and the roller car may have been pulled above this allowing the bushing to pop out. I can probably get the bushing reinserted by climbing the mast, and pulling the car up to this position above the extrusion, but how do I keep this issue from reoccurring? Is there a way to push the extrusion farther up the fore-stay so that there is no gap there?

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Based on my reading of our two manuals, 1987 and 1992, you should just be able to put them back in. Call Pompanette and ask for the manual, the installation instructions are thorough. Mine are hard copy, or I would PDF them to you.

Can't help with the prevention aspect.

Good news for us, I have located a replacement system gratis, so hope to obtain and install it tomorrow

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Chip,
I got your PM. I’m afraid I’m zero help with the furler issue. I think mine is a Harken, it is not a continuous line unit. The upper portion of mine broke about two years (bearings rained down on me and my boat) ago and my rigger rebuilt it. So I’ve got no advice, sorry!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@pateco - Chip, I may be able to help you now that I've seen the rigger put a new until on my extrusions. Call me, I think you still have my number. If not PM me. We are in Clewiston, and crossing the lake tomorrow, so Tonite or tomorrow night would be best. I may not have reception in the middle of the lake.