Help with a 6hp OB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Good Morning, I have a 04 mercury 6hp. Has only been used this year and has been running fine, this weekend all of a sudden it won't idle. I can start it keep the rev's up and put it in gear, and it runs fine till you slow to a idle and then it stalls. I have replaced the spark-plug, which looked almost fouled but it did not help. Any suggestions, or links to a manual if I have to rebuild/clean the carb. thanks Charisma

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
#1 is good gas. If you're using last year's gas, it might already be bad. (I like using premium gas because of the highrer octane and better additives, also it usually doesn't have ethanol. I also use premium2-stroke oil and gas stabiliser)

Next to try is to clean the carb. With the engine on the boat, warmed up and running in neutral, rev up and try squirting aerosol carb cleaner in the air intake - short blasts, don't make it stall.

At the same time, try tapping GENTLY on the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle; sometimes this can help unstick a stuck needle.

That's the easy stuff; beyond this you might need the services of a mechanic.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'll bet you have trash in the idle circuit. Try Kenn's approach first then maybe this........The new Merc 6 hp are made by Tohatsu as far as I know and maybe yours is also. If so here is a link to Tohatsu manuals......

http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

The carbs on the small outboards are pretty simple. Just take you time taking it apart and don't use compressed air on the assembled carb, but once apart you can blow the passages out. Also don't be using in thing hard like wire trying to clean the passages or if you do be very careful as they are made to close tolerances.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sum

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The 04 Mercury has a Tohatsu power head and these carburetors will easily foul when using ethanolated gasoline, especially when using gasoline that is more than one MONTH old. Next time add a suitable stabilizer for 'ethanolated' gasoline or buy *alcohol free - recreational gasoline*.

Only thing you can do: 1. disassemble the carburetor and thoroughly clean out the fouling, especially from all the teeny passages. You wont find any 'rebuild or maintenance' manuals for the Tohatsu power heads ... only the 'pros' can get those manuals.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Anybody can buy the same service manual the pro has from a place like internet outboards BUT they are copyright material which is why you will not find then for free like the owners manual

Jun 1, 2004
Thanks guys, This board is truly the best. I will have a go at dissembling the carb tonight. Do you think I will need a gasket set?

Jun 1, 2004
Well Just want to thanks everyone, did not have to actually remove the carb, drained the gas and then removed both jets and seats and soaked them in "seafom" for 20 min then blew everything out with compressed air. After assembly, the motor now runs and idles fine, ready for next weekend. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.