HELP.....Steering System Maintenance H 29.5

Mar 16, 2018
Corsair F-28 Midlanb, Ontario
Anybody out there with experience on disassembly and maintenance of this system??
Our binnacle has speed, depth and chart plotter mounted there so, we are reluctant to begin without some guideline.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Anybody out there with experience on disassembly and maintenance of this system??
Sorry, but you're unlikely to receive any response to your question because like everyone else here, I can't figure out what you're trying to do.

Disassemble your steering system ? ? ? Whatever for ? I'm thinking of my system on my 1999 H-310. Should be close to yours if it's within +/- 5 years. What year for yours ? Get in there and grease all moving gears with the heaviest waterproof grease you can find. Lubriplate 3000 moly grease is a good choice because it's like road tar. I wipe down and re-grease my steering gear every 4 - 5 years.

1695275650557.png

Our binnacle has speed, depth and chart plotter mounted there so, we are reluctant to begin without some guideline.
I don't understand what that has to do with your steering system.

I would think this out again and try to offer up an explanation of what you are doing and why.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Did you get a manual of your boat? Hunter was good about creating complete manuals.

Take a look at the Hunter section of SBO. There are a number of download manuals and ideas.

Perhaps more clarity in your question. Pictures of what you are seeing that you find confusing.

Mar 16, 2018
Thanks for the reply to my question re Edson steering System Maintenance.

I have been checking all systems on our new to us 1994 Hunter 29.5.

The wheel steering is an Edson Radial Drive System and Edson does have a complete guide to its maintenance and scheduling. See attached .

The cable to radial wheel and pulleys are easily accessed by removing the deck behind the binnacle. The top end of the binnacle is not so easy. It was designed to provide a mount for both the main traveller as well as instrumentation.

I'll post pics of the disassembly when I figure it out.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Now we're moving ahead at warp speed.

I was incorrect to think we would have the same pedestal even with only a 5 year difference :

1695313242366.png

I have seen your Edson binnacle model on other makes of boats here over the years. Anyone else care to chime in ?

NOTE: you might think that all 1994 Hunter 29.5 's would have the same binnacle but no. Boats are not like cars. In one production run you might see differences of various parts depending on availability and other factors.

Mar 16, 2018
Well.... pics attached of the binnacle on our 1994 H 29.5.
It came apart simply and exposed all of the parts needed for regular inspection and periodic maintenance.
Disassemble by:
1. Pull deck pins on binnacle arch.
2. Lift binnacle arch clear of deck.
3. Remove helm.
4. Remove 8 machine screws on binnacle top and slide it forward on its base a couple inches.
5. Lift binnacle arch to set lower leg base in binnacle tray.
6. Slide arch and binnacle top forward to expose the helm shaft, chain wheel and chain, as well as helm break.
7. Do prescribed maintenance.
8. Reverse steps to reassemble.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well.... pics attached of the binnacle on our 1994 H 29.5.
It came apart simply and exposed all of the parts needed for regular inspection and periodic maintenance.
Disassemble by:
1. Pull deck pins on binnacle arch.
2. Lift binnacle arch clear of deck.
3. Remove helm.
4. Remove 8 machine screws on binnacle top and slide it forward on its base a couple inches.
5. Lift binnacle arch to set lower leg base in binnacle tray.
6. Slide arch and binnacle top forward to expose the helm shaft, chain wheel and chain, as well as helm break.
7. Do prescribed maintenance.
8. Reverse steps to reassemble.
Glad you worked it out.

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Excellent photo trail.

Perhaps you could post this explanation and photos in the archives so that the next time someone poses the same question, they can be directed to the "How To" for this particular binnacle. With mine, if you can see it you can clean/lube it. Nothing to disassemble.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Bentsailor

I am not sure but a lot of information for your boat can be found under boat information/hunter resources/29.5/ downloads, etc. Also, go to home page and under boat information, type in what you’re looking for but identify your boat as it will pull up emails related to that question