Help - Secondary Mascerator and tank dumping to the ocean not working

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
Maybe hold off on that 'til you're back home with lots of supply backup. Actually, there's really no need to remove other than to look inside and possible cleanup of crud.

IF you get so bored you find yourself just HAVING to remove the plug, try heating the plug and tank, near the plug, with a hair dryer until both are hot to the touch. Attack it gently and it may unscrew a lot easier than when cold.

Good luck :thumbup: .
Good idea on waiting. Ironically, the forward head seat just broke (It never gets used), finding one will likely not happen in the island , saying supplies are limited is an understatement.
As for bored, it will never happen :)
As for heating up, the ole heat gun stays on board, it comes in handy more than I could tell.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
the forward head seat just broke
OMG is that a bad omen ? Look underneath the seat. If you see a 666 stamped into it anywhere, consider abandoning ship now while you have the chance.

As for heating up, the ole heat gun stays on board, it comes in handy more than I could tell.
I could never trust myself with a heat gun. Far too impatient :yikes: .

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
OMG is that a bad omen ? Look underneath the seat. If you see a 666 stamped into it anywhere, consider abandoning ship now while you have the chance.
not a chance, not on this boat.. lol

I could never trust myself with a heat gun. Far too impatient :yikes: .
well, it is a heat gun or use my torch, the heat gun wins most times....

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
It was the Macerator. I had a brand new spare, after some further investigations, I figured it was the pump.
Installed the new one (not a fun job for both access and just a shitty job), activated the Macerator button and like new, the gin clear waters turned brown.. :( At least it is resolved, thanks for all the support. I hate doing any work while we are out cruising, only what is necessary because parts and marine items are very sparse out here.

So, three years old Jabsco. I am thinking of buying Raritan to keep as my spare, the reputation is much better, anyone with experience on those? They appear to be a direct connect..

Jan 4, 2006
I imagine that being so PO'd after completing the job, you didn't keep the old pump to determine the cause of the failure ?

I had a Jabsco pump fail about 15 years ago from broken stud.

1718566224410.jpeg

All corroded and rotten so I didn't blame it too much.

I intended to replace the old, busted Jabsco with a new one and this is what I found inside the new pump upon inspection :

1718566327388.jpeg

I returned it to the dealer and he promptly replaced it with a new one which didn't instill a hell of a lot of confidence. I checked the bolts and they showed no signs of cracking. The pump has been in service for quite a number of years with no sign of failure yet.

Just based on Jabsco's long and miserable history, I would invest in a Raritan pump if it will fit into the same space as the Jabsco.

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
I imagine that being so PO'd after completing the job, you didn't keep the old pump to determine the cause of the failure ?

I had a Jabsco pump fail about 15 years ago from broken stud.

View attachment 225448

All corroded and rotten so I didn't blame it too much.

I intended to replace the old, busted Jabsco with a new one and this is what I found inside the new pump upon inspection :

View attachment 225449

I returned it to the dealer and he promptly replaced it with a new one which didn't instill a hell of a lot of confidence. I checked the bolts and they showed no signs of cracking. The pump has been in service for quite a number of years with no sign of failure yet.

Just based on Jabsco's long and miserable history, I would invest in a Raritan pump if it will fit into the same space as the Jabsco.
Jabsco is junk. I am an engineer, the quality is not good, your bolts are proof.
I did replace my forward macerator with a Raritan, the quality is much better. I really wanted to replace them both with a whale pump, no maceration but the space will not allow it.
I am buying another Raritan as my backup, just dont know if Ill need it in a week, a year or three years, my confidence on Jabsco has been pretty low..
I did ask Raritan if they made a head attached macerator that would fit the Jabsco bowls, they dont and I am not likely to replace the entire head, just keep spares. Raritan also make some smart switches that rotate the pump weekly so I may install those (Now, I just hit the button on both every few weeks just to keep the pumps turning.

Jan 4, 2006
I am an engineer,
My condolences. I too am the product of a mis-spent youth which resulted in my becoming an engineer. Actually, not that bad at all except in union situations which in most cases defied belief that an outfit could even continue to exist under conditions like that. The engineering degree got me into some really interesting places as in spending the last five years after retiring (2000-2005) in a little place called Coco Cay.

It's changed a lot since I was there but just a riot while I was the "Island Engineer" (drum roll please) for five years. Had a crew of 15 guys who were the most skilled individuals I have ever worked with and greatest all round guys imaginable. They worked with you, not for you.

Jabsco needs no further mention. Absolute garbage. I had one and changed over to a Raritan five years ago with smooth (leakless) sailing ever since.

Do keep us apprised of any further excitement you encounter down there. I returned to Coco Cay last year for a day on an RCCL ship and really don't think I'd like to be there now. It's completely lost its island charm. More new machinery there that you can imagine. Beautiful new 3 meg. diesel generator set up now. The RO unit has been upgraded to something like 9 or 10K gallons per day. My all time fav. for new equipment is the sewage treatment plant. Beautiful if I can use the contradiction.

Oct 27, 2021
Hunter 45CC Tampa
My condolences. I too am the product of a mis-spent youth which resulted in my becoming an engineer. Actually, not that bad at all except in union situations which in most cases defied belief that an outfit could even continue to exist under conditions like that. The engineering degree got me into some really interesting places as in spending the last five years after retiring (2000-2005) in a little place called Coco Cay.

It's changed a lot since I was there but just a riot while I was the "Island Engineer" (drum roll please) for five years. Had a crew of 15 guys who were the most skilled individuals I have ever worked with and greatest all round guys imaginable. They worked with you, not for you.

Jabsco needs no further mention. Absolute garbage. I had one and changed over to a Raritan five years ago with smooth (leakless) sailing ever since.

Do keep us apprised of any further excitement you encounter down there. I returned to Coco Cay last year for a day on an RCCL ship and really don't think I'd like to be there now. It's completely lost its island charm. More new machinery there that you can imagine. Beautiful new 3 meg. diesel generator set up now. The RO unit has been upgraded to something like 9 or 10K gallons per day. My all time fav. for new equipment is the sewage treatment plant. Beautiful if I can use the contradiction.
We stopped at coco for the ight, they were friendly and let us come ashore to stretch our legs.. Too much like Ft Lauderdale for me.
I am an aerospace guy, designed, developed and mfr jet propulsion for the DOD, marine is a different world. LOL
Just ordered a new Raritan to match the other one.. If or should I say, when the jabsco fails, we will be set... LOL

Coco would have been a cool gig, I would take that and spend my time out here getting paid, heck yes...