Help!!! Roller Furler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2011
S2 8.0 C Baltimore
Jib sock

Concern that constnt tension will damage halyard or that halyard is in a condition now not up to the task?

If the former, I have a roller furling right now. No issue with halyard being damaged by that from my experience. One can always leave it rigged but with eased tension I suppose.

If the later is the case, well maybe redo the running rigging. Our boats are, to be frank, not much in the way of high performance and so I went with double braid Dacron polyester from an industrial supply source in PNW. I got something like 300 feet of 3/8" in my choice of color for 159 bucks. I did my sheets and halyards with same and it has been great. I do not experience any detrimental characteristics for this rope. I can't say I wouldn't if I were competing, but that's not likely to happen with my high in the water 8.0 C.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Ha ha my bad. In my illl spent youth I had a '72 Maverick with a swapped in 351 shoehorned in between torched shock towers. It was , um, squirrelly.
My friend has a 72 Comet drag car he runs in NH with a built 302.

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Keep in mind that furling and reefing are two different objectives. Some set ups can't be used for reefing.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is nothing wrong with keeping a halyard under constant load on a furler. This happens on all furlers, with or without a foil.

Do you have a dual toggle under the drum? That need to be able to flex (p/s, f/a) without distorting anything. important.

Your system seems OK at first glance. But you say you are cautious, and you sail with your young family. I would have that vetted by a pro rigger before I headed out into any chance of bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.