Help re: automatic bilge pump decision

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
My boat is an hour from the house. After some of the monstrous rains this summer (3, 4, even 5 inches at a time) I had to trek to the boat and empty the bilge (beyond the normal little leaks, I think the water is coming from top of the mast).

So I'm looking for some sort of automatic bilge pump that will eliminate the need for a trip to and from the boat. I currently have a small Rule manual pump. I'm debating whether to get a float switch and add that to the pump (I assume the wiring now would go directly to the float switch and then wire the float switch to the pump?)...or get a totally automatic pump that doesn't mess with a float switch.

Rule seems to make a couple of smaller automatic pumps that should fit in the rather small bilge on the boat. The reviews on them are OK.

Any advice regarding these two choices would be most helpful. I'm leaning on replacing the current pump with an automatic model with no float switch (seems to me that a float switch is just one more thing to go wrong)....would love to get some lessons learned from the wise heads on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Only pump switch that really works is a Ultra Pump Switch. Search on this site for what Mainesail has written. It is expensive but worth it.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Agreed, external switch is better. Besides the Ultra Pump Switch, Water Witch makes a pretty good non mechanical switch. It is easily checked with a wet rag or sponge.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd stay away from the electronic automatic pumps as they use electricity even when not pumping. Personally, I've had really good service from the Seachoice Auto Float Switch 19431 and I like the fact you can check that it's functioning by turning the little peg on the outside of the cage. They don't last forever, but they do seem to outlast the Rule super Switch.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Lots of choices out there, but you should definitely have a pump on a water detecting switch as well as an override panel switch.
I went with the Aqualarm Smart Bilge Pump Switch. I like the external siren that lets me know if the pump has run longer than 2 minutes. It also runs an additional 15 seconds after the level has dropped to pump a little more water out of the bilge.
I've only tested it annually. It has never had to come on as a result of incoming water.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
As indicated above there are lots of choices for automatic bilge pump operation, either a bilge pump with a built-in or external float or electronic-water-sensing bilge pump switch. Depends on space and wiring complexity/simplicity. The link below provides additional information.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
+1 for the Ultra Safety Pump Switch.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Float switches do not work well in shallow bilges where the arm does not have enough room to travel to its upmost upward position. For shallow bilges Rule makes an electronic bilge pump that goes on every two minutes and tests any water resistance on the impeller for a few seconds (4-6). If no resistance is encountered it shuts off for another two minutes but if resistance is encountered it will continue to operate until almost all water is expelled. I used such a pump in an old h27 and never had a problem with flowback cycling, but would recommend to watch for it in any other installation to correct the path of the discharge hose. Even though the pump comes on 30 times in one hour it only runs for 1 1/2 minute in that hour span, the power usage for this automatic testing cycles is nil. If I recall the pumps were a little pricey at around $45 at the time and had a useful life in my application of about 3 years, keep your warranty documentation. Hope this information may be helpful to you and perhaps others.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have a lot more confidence in the Rule float switch than any of the automatic models. Mine has never failed in 15 years. It is tested every time I empty the ice melt from the ice box (drains into the bilge). I wouldn't spend extra for the Ultra Safety model.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I went to the electronic switch when my Rule float died. There's no single answer.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Scott T-Bird, I think your Rule switch should be removed and put in the Rule museum. I have never had a Rule switch last longer than 5 years. On my 2011 Hunter the switch went bad 3 years ago so it lasted 5 years. Has anyone else had good luck with a Rule switch?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I have 2 pumps , 1 rule automatic , and a jabsco diaphragm pump. My bilge is shallow, on the diaphram I installed to float switches in parallel incase one fails ,one is a mechanical rule switch the other a vertical electronic switch and also install a bilge alarm. Funny before any pump or alarm goes off , I had some water go into the bilge from hot water tank, and when the auto one does its 2 minute cycle ,I could hear the impeller starting to hit the water.Just hit the manual switch and pumped it out.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Scott T-Bird, I think your Rule switch should be removed and put in the Rule museum. I have never had a Rule switch last longer than 5 years. On my 2011 Hunter the switch went bad 3 years ago so it lasted 5 years. Has anyone else had good luck with a Rule switch?
Wonder if mine came with the boat new at 40 yrs ago..? Works great! Mercury and all.