Help Peggy! The usual stinko problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
A friend recently bought a 1980 Endeavor 32' that we overnighted on at Harness Creek (South River, MD) last weekend. It was a big step up in comfort from his old Hunter 25' in terms of cabin space and he wants to do more comfortable cruising with his spouse. The problem was that whoever delivered the boat contributed to the holding tank and while we were sailing in some stiff wind the bowl of the head had brown stinky liquid in it; presumably backflow from the holding tank that kept me in the cockpit much of the time. We checked the tank under the V-berth next to the head and found the requisite 3 hoses (input, output, air hose). Eventually we pumped out the tank but I am wondering if they need to plumb in a check valve of some kind. I also suspect that the level of the tank is slightly above the head itself and wonder if this could be part of the problem. It is a great boat that can provide a lot of comfort but much of that comfort is for naught if there is a terrible stench in the cabin that keeps you above deck. Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Caleb, what's needed is a loop in

the head discharge line--not a vented loop, just a loop--that's higher than waste in the tank can get over when the boat is heeled...'cuz even a half full tank can spill into the head discharge line and run back toward the head when the boat heels. I'd put it as close to the toilet as possible, which would accomplish two things: 1. Prevent the waste from getting over it 2. allow any remaining flush water left in the line between the bowl and the top of the loop to create a water barrier that would also block any odor from the tank. If waste is flooding the bowl, not just seeping in when he's heeled on the same tack for a long period, the joker valve in the toilet discharge is LONG overdue for replacement. That should be done at least every two years...annually is better. He should also find the link below useful...you might want to give him a copy as a "boatwarming" gift. :)

R

Rick9619

Three cheers for Peggy

Just wanted to give the Head Mistress some "props" so to speak. I emailed Peggy with a collapsed line problem. I didnt post because I didnt want 50 opinions just some straight forward expert advice. Peggy actually had me call her directly, we opened up a couple of web pages and solved the problem quickly and I believe permanently. Thank you Peggy Rick

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Thanks Peggy.

I will try to follow up on your suggestions with my friend in VA with the 1980 Endeavor 32'. He has a lot more boat than he is used to with a lot more systems to think about and four partners. I guess I am a consultant or better yet an observer and appreciate your help. Caleb

Status
Not open for further replies.