Help on a New Traveler

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Arrggg. Sorry about the multiple pics ... :mad:
We "get the picture!" :cool::clap::)

Just go back and EDIT your post.

Looks like you do NOT need the end track gizmo. Not too far to reach given the narrow width of your boat.

Judi's right: what kind of track is there now? Keep the track if you can and add different cars.

Those old pin travelers are basically useless.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Those old pin travelers are basically useless.
I resemble that comment as my boat has and uses those pins. :yikes:

Cruising for an hour or so on a single comfortable tack set and relax. :cool:

Fewer lines in the cockpit to trip on. :dancing:

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I resemble that comment as my boat has and uses those pins. :yikes:

Cruising for an hour or so on a single comfortable tack set and relax. :cool:

Fewer lines in the cockpit to trip on. :dancing:
Well, small lake and I rarely have 10 minutes, much less an hour to leave things set .. :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know Dillon. And your use much different then mine. :biggrin:

Last time I sailed on Dillon was in spring of 69. Likely much has changed.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've had both windward sheeting and conventional, and I don't care for windward sheeting. Handy when tacking repeatedly, but not as versatile (you can't lock it to leeward, you can't preset it low on the next tack).

Personal preference.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've had both windward sheeting and conventional, and I don't care for windward sheeting. Handy when tacking repeatedly, but not as versatile (you can't lock it to leeward, you can't preset it low on the next tack).

Personal preference.
It sounds like you just need to decide if you are going to buy a windward sheeting model or a standard system at 3:1 or 4:1 with end track cleats or remote cleats. I think the standard 3:1 with end track cleats is the simplest, most reasonable solution for that boat. Our 27' boat has a 3:1 system with end track cleats and it seems to be reasonable, but Sue has trouble when the wind is strong. If I was going to replace, I would probably try 4:1. Here is my standard 3:1 Schaefer system on 1-1/8" track that I had to custom fit for the end block/cleats.

037.JPG
038.JPG

One thing I might not like about windward sheeting is that the tail ends of the lines travel with the car. That might be convenient for the guy trimming the traveler, but the lines would always be in the middle of the cockpit and probably always be stepped on. There are trade-offs with every system! I like the cleat at the track ends because the lines run along the backrest, mostly out of the way. It's a nuisance when somebody is sitting on the lines and I want to adjust, but surprisingly, with the cleat at the track, I can easily adjust both lines when perched behind the wheel very easily when I solo sail. It's like holding buggy ropes, one in each hand. I can flick the lines off and cleat them very easily without being near the cleats at all. In fact, it seems to be easier than when you are sitting right behind the cleats. I have thought about using remote cleats, but the set-up alludes me until I can see how it would work best on our boat.

I hadn't heard that the Harken windward sheeting model can't be locked to leeward. Why is that? I was interested in the Harken windward sheeting model, but I had Schaefer system and track so that's the way I stayed. I always thought that windward sheeting would be the cat's meow, but I haven't heard a real good endorsement from others. OTOH, having to adjust 2 ends of the system with every tack seems like a problem that just doesn't have any good solution.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have always set travelers up with continuous lines (windward or convensional), with only ~ 6 inches more length than required. This keeps them off the floor. Very fast too, since you can reach both sides from either side.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
From Windward Sheeting Simplifies Tacking

Windward Sheeting Simplifies Tacking

In light to moderate air, most boats sail upwind best with the traveler car above the centerline. This allows them to position the boom on the centerline without exerting too much mainsheet tension which would close the leech.

With a conventional traveler car, you need to release the leeward control line to bring the car above the centerline. Before tacking, the control line must be recleated and, during or after the tack, the new leeward control has to be released.

A Harken windward sheeting traveler car solves this problem. Windward sheeting cars have the control cleats built into a special mechanism that opens and closes the leeward cleat automatically during a tack.

As you're going upwind, the leeward cleat is open so you can draw the car above the centerline. When you tack, ignore the car — the old leeward cleat closes, the car stays where you left it, and the new leeward cleat opens so you can draw the car above the centerline on the new tack.

In heavy air, when you want the car below the centerline, the windward sheeting car works like any other—just ease the control lines to position the car, and it will move to a reciprocal position on the other tack.

~~~~~~~

I find it helpful in both light and high winds, especially When I’m tacking in a crowded narrow channel with little time between tacks. During a tack, the traveler stays where it was before the tack, without my having to cleat the old leeward control before the tack. After the tack, i don’t need to to release the new leeward control line to pull the traveler up.

I certainly don’t need a windward sheeting car, but I really like it.

The traveler never slams to the new leeward side during a tack. And therefore I don’t have to pull it very far to get it back to centerline or higher.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Most Seaward owners don't race their boats - but they will blow the doors off a J/24 in two feet of water.
Windward sheeting cars were made for racers and to be honest, when you are not sailing and perhaps motoring and the mainsheet is swinging back and forth with the thrusting of the boom in the waves, for example, the action of the windward sheeting car will uncleat and the car will travel back and forth until cleated again. Sort of a pain. So your other Harken choice is a good one in my opinion.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
when you are not sailing and perhaps motoring and the mainsheet is swinging back and forth with the thrusting of the boom in the waves, for example, the action of the windward sheeting car will uncleat and the car will travel back and forth until cleated again. Sort of a pain.
Yes it would be a pain but... many folks with windward sheeting cars install cam cleats to stop the car from moving when there isn’t enough wind pressure to lock it in place automatically, such as when motor sailing in very very light wind. With one cam cleat on each end of the traveler, I can operate the traveler in either “auto tacking” mode or manual mode.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
His track appears to be on the bridge deck.... so he would be sitting between the track and the wheel. If it were me I would extend control line away from the track a bit with a couple of cam cleats with fairleads fixed high on the coaming side.. either vertical above the track end or angled aft at 45 deg, depending on where you sit. On a boat that size with the boom attachment about 3/4 back, I can't imagine needing more than 3:1 purchase... so... a double at the track end, a single with becket on the car... tie the line to the car becket, up to coaming, back to car, back to coaming and up to winch. Instead of the double on the coaming side... two separate singles straddling the track will allow you go pull the car right to the end.... instead of losing 4-5 inches to blocks attached to the track.

Finally, remember that Harken's track is proprietary... so you're committed to Harken cars. Standard I inch track will accommodate many different brands.... lewmar, garhauer, schaeffer, etc. Garhauer sells track cheap.

what I had in mine was a combination of these two systems.... On my Cat 27 I use something similar to the right one with the line being continuous..

Mar 23, 2015
Most Seaward owners don't race their boats - but they will blow the doors off a J/24 in two feet of water.
LOL, 2 feet indeed! As usual, lots of opinions and good ideas. The boat is on the hard for the winter so have plenty of time to contemplate. There are a couple of other Seawards at the marina and I will take a peek at what they have.

Thanks for all the input. Lots to think about!
cec

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Think about the ergonomics of where the lines lead and where you will be sitting.

With some duct tape, a few steel rings and cheap hardware store line you could mock up a solution or two. See what will work before sinking a lot of money.

And while you are at it, make sure you have access to the hardware holding the track down.

Mar 23, 2015
And while you are at it, make sure you have access to the hardware holding the track down.
[/QUOTE]

Done and yes!