Help, old topside paint is fading, what to do

Jun 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Lake Waccamaw NC
First post. Thanks for having me.
Just bought my beautiful Catalina 22 Lady. Cosmetically she suffers from some red coloring coming through the top side non skid.
Any suggestions? I read that glidden outdoor paint is the same as the expensive marine stuff. I don’t know if it should be brushed or rolled on.

The other picture is my rudder, I don’t have a part that holds it in down position just it’s own weight, so I’m not sure if it creeps up when underway. Obviously I don’t want to put a bolt because lake Waccamaw is shallow and running aground would cause some damage. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Believe it or not, the "topsides" are actually the sides of the hull. So you'll want to research deck paint, not topside paint.

When your rudder is fully extended, a weak plastic bolt ("shear pin") goes through the hole in your aluminum rudder casting, which will line up with the hole in the rudder blade. The shear pin will keep the rudder blade from creeping up, but if you strike something, the pin will snap off and allow the rudder to kick up without damage.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop...rn/rudder-hardware/kick-up-rudder-shear-pins/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:laugh:@hamilto Welcome to the forum. Happy boating.

It is great when @Gene Neill nails the solution on the first go.
:biggrin:
That’s why his avatar is always celebrating with Champagne. :laugh:

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
There is another, somewhat less flattering possibility concerning the reason for my perpetually imbibing avatar.

Jun 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Lake Waccamaw NC
Well, if it’s the other way around and perpetual champagne consumption leads to sailing wisdom I’ll be on the way to BVI tomorrow. Maybe someone can convince me my ‘Lady’ is good for the offshore long haul? Cuz I’m itchin’, champagne or not

Attachments