HELP NEW BOAT OWNER FIRST SAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ROBERT

HEY CAN ANYONE HELP ME. I JUST GOT A 21 MACGREGOR. I'M TRYING TO PUT IT IN IN MARCH OR APRIL 1 LATEST. I AM REPLACING THE CENTERBOARD WINCH. I HAVE REDONE THE INTERIOR. I HAVE SAILS BUT I'M NOR SURE ASTO WHETER OR NOT I HAVE ALL OF THE RIGGING PIECES THAT I NEED. DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OR DIAGRAM OF WHAT A 21 MACGREGOR LOOKS LIKE WHEN SHE IS READY TO GO. OR ANY ADVICE ON ANYTHING WILL BE GREAT. ROB.B@SURFSIDE3.COM OR 917-513-9586

M

mrbill

try here

macgregor-boats.com look on rt brochures, and the personal web pages on lower rt.... also the webring at bottom of page.

S

Stan Breaux

Learn to Sail video

When I got my first boat, I rented a leran to sail video form our local library (Can't remember the name of it, now) but it showed a guy rigging his boat from start to finish, and was very helpful. Otherwise, you really should get someone to help you the first time.

V

vwjon

Hi Robert

The best way to set up your boat for the first time is in the driveway. Hook up to your tow vehicle or jack it up level and block your wheels and block the back of the trailer frame. You'll be running all around up there and you don't want to start rolling or tipping back. Have a helper with you and once the mast is bolted through the hinge, go around and check every shroud and stay where it connects. Make sure none of these will twist as you raise the mast. Next step, one guy in the cockpit lifting, one guy on the deck pulling on the forestay. Once the pin is in you are safe. Step back and have a look. I'll bet you're smiling. Time for a libation and back to work. Happy sailing vwj

K

Keith Nuttle

Learn to sail

I do as vwjon, however I keep the sheets in the cabin and the stays connected to the mast when stored. After securing the foot of the mast, I run the sheets through the proper blocks and make sure the stays and sheets will be in the proper place and not tangled when the mast is raised. Also make sure, or instruct your helper, to keep the stays clear of the cleats, trailer or anything else that they could snag on as you are raising the mast. Also watch the over head as you move the boat to the launch ramp. (I have heard they bounce when snagged in a tree limb, but never personally experienced it) One point about leaning to sail. Before I got my boat I read every thing I could find. One thing no one mentioned is you do not have to learn to sail, but control where the boat goes. The boat will sail itself and go where it wants. Please e-mail if you would like more information. I have had my V-21 since 1970 and have pictures of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.