Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
MACGREGOR 1981 21 LAKE GUNTERSVILLE
I am a complete novice and dumber then dirt when it comes to boats. I recently purchased a 21ft Mac and need to buy a motor for it.
What horsepower motor would others recommend. I will be on an in-land lake, mainly close to shore( until I get some more training in sailing).
Do I need a 15" or 20" shaft?
What are the opinions on the Briggs and Stratton 5hp on sale on iboat.com for $699.00?
All info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bill B. on Guntersville Lake, Guntersville, Alabama.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Bill B. on Guntersville Lake, Guntersville, Alabama.[/quote]

Are the bridges across the lake high enough to sail under, over 25' above the water?

I googled Guntersville Lake an it appears that if you can not get under the bridges, you will have about 2 mile sails. If you were planning on sailing on a much larger lake or if you have long channels to the launching ramps you may wish to consider a motor.

So while motors are nice, when you are learning to sail it is best to lean with out a motor. This forces you to learn to handle the boat in all kinds of wind conditions. Making the boat go when the wind is very light helps you to learn about the wind. When the wind is to much you can always get in.

The literature from the manufacturer recomend is less than 10 hp.

Depending on the date your boat was manufactured you will either have a 12" draft if manufactured after Dec 1970, or 18" if manufactured before.

http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com...l&id=163&Itemid=888&brand=Macgregor&bmodel=21

I picked my V-21 in 1970 and have sailed it on inland lakes from 600 to 30000 acres. I have never gotten around to putting a motor on the boat.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
Welcome Aboard Bill

On my old V21 I had a 9.9 HP and it was more then enough power. Others have used smaller and did OK. According to MacGregor the boat is rated maximum at 10 HP (I suspect it has more to do with weight). I would go with the "long shaft" and I'm not sure is that means 20". There have been several with the B&S and I haven't heard them say anything good about them especially if salt water is involved. If price is the main factor look for a good used one, checked out by a qualified mechanic. BTW I liked the performance of my V21 better then the V25!

I am a complete novice and dumber then dirt when it comes to boats. I recently purchased a 21ft Mac and need to buy a motor for it.
What horsepower motor would others recommend. I will be on an in-land lake, mainly close to shore( until I get some more training in sailing).
Do I need a 15" or 20" shaft?
What are the opinions on the Briggs and Stratton 5hp on sale on iboat.com for $699.00?
All info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bill B. on Guntersville Lake, Guntersville, Alabama.

Sep 27, 2009
Guntersville lake is fed by the Tenn. River and we have a main channel that runs under large bridges. yes there are some areas that can not be reached with mast up but there are pleanty of sailboats going up and down the river and around the lake.. In fact the replica of one of Clombus's ships has been here several times with it's tall mast. Iwould perfer to use sail only and a trolling motor when needed but my wife wants security. Thanks for the infomation and suggestions. With my skills I will probably fall overboard and will have to swim home ( just kidding). I am lucky enough to have a friend who is going to teach me sailing. He has a 26" Mac and lives to houses away.

Sep 27, 2009
Phil V25,
Thanks for the quick reply and useful infomation. I was a little leary of the B&S so I am gratful for your advice.
Kunttle,
Mine is an 81 model with 12" draft. On my end of the lake I should have found something with a 6" draft.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
6hp, 20-25" shaft.
but you could get by on a 4hp, long shaft.

<IMHO>

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We bought a used 5 HP Nissan on Craigs list for $600 and have been very happy with it. It is the long shaft (20 inch) and we use it on the dinghy....

.....but have also used it on the Mac once when the Honda didn't start. It pushed the Mac fine into 20+ mph winds. We got the long shaft for the reason of using it on the Mac if the other motor didn't work and I had to raise the transom on the dinghy.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/zodiac-3.html

The Tohatsu 4, 5 and 6 HP outboards are all the same and they also make the same model for Nissan and Mercury. You can convert a 4 HP to 5 or 6 with a $130 carb change at any time, but the 4 HP would be fine.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID
Our Mac Pages
Mac Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I don't think there are any Macs out there with a 9.9HP that have ever been able to say that they ran the engine at full throttle. It's only hanging back there because it is the smallest of the electric start motors and you can even get some with electric tilt I seem to remember.

Mac M'S and X's excluded of course and maybee a 19.

My 25 runs at hull speed at 1/2 throttle with a 8HP 2 stroke and most docking is done at an idle or just above.

The motor is locked in position.

GLSail

May 4, 2010
Macgreagor M21 KY
Have a 4hp 2 stroke short shaft on my 21 that came with the purchase. So far it has been more than enough power. I thought that real rough waves would bring the prop out of the water but that has not happened yet. Suprised me by pushing the loaded boat 7-7.5 mph at 3/4 throttle.
Gerald
Getting out of the calm spots.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 21 cinti,oh IN
i have a 21' venture, use it on a lake. i've used a 4 hp forever, works great. the only issue has been fighting ocean currents in rivers as it is too small for that. a 7 would be better there.

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
I have a V2-22, and I've run 2 different outboards on it:

1972 Evinrude/Johnson 9.5 hp. Great motor, despite its age and fuel economy. Ran strong and moved the boat along nicely near full throttle (keel up). I only stopped using it because the recoil starter assembly fell apart, and the carburetor was getting twitchy.

1980's Johnson 6 hp sail drive (long shaft). Hate it. It does start easily, and does get very good fuel economy (less than half of the other engine's fuel usage), but it is weak. It runs better with the top cover off (to get more air), but it still only delivers maybe 3/4 the speed that the older 9.5 hp motor did. I never have problems motoring into the wind, but it has me biting my nails whenever I dash in to shore to get away from stormy weather.

It's just my opinion, but I would recommend something between 7.5 hp and 9.9 hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.