Help Need Installing an EV-100 in a 2006 Hunter 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Has anyone installed a autopilot on this model Hunter 33?

Decided to install a EV-100 in my 33. I have the wheel portion installed but the wiring seems to be somewhat of a problem. The wiring in the instrument pod runs down the port binnacle guard leg. It is full with a lot of wiring. It has a pull string installed. The wiring runs down the leg and then into what appears to be some sort of chase and exits in the aft port side near the fuel tank. Here is the problem mixed in the bundle is a pull string which goes down the leg and seems to exit in the aft then runs to an opening in the stern rail under the aft light. The pull string seems to be two different strings, pulling on either end will not move the other end, it is possible that the pull string from the top on the binnacle exits somewhere else? To add to the fun hunter plug the aft end of the chase with caulk, which I will have to remove at some point. Also in the binnacle are some unused wire runs, I will have to trace those to see what the are, I may be able to pull them back to get more room. I have to run a Seatalkng cable and the power cable for the wheel pilot in chase.

Looking for some advice.

Thanks

Nov 2, 2013
Hunter 33 Anacortes, WA
I bought a 2007 Hunter 33 this August without autopilot or chart plotter. It had ST 60 series depth, speed and wind instruments. The port guard tube was packed with cables. I checked very carefully and found the chart plotter power cable already there (unused) plus there was a VHF ram mic extension cable already there (unused) and the autopilot power cable (unused but not actually attached to the DC panel). The other cables were one older 183 network cable, a depth transducer cable, a wind speed transducer cable, and a speed transducer cable. There was no pull string.

What I decided to do, given everything, was go with all new instruments and upgrade to the NMEA 2000 network (Raymarine ng). So, I pulled out the three transducer cables and the 183 network power cable and pulled through the ng network backbone cable. Even so, it was hard to get the ng backbone cable through. If you don't have a wind instrument, the pull string might anticipate that as two transducer cables came from the port and one came from the starboard (I think it was the wind).

I bought one i70 instrument that replaced the three ST 60 instruments, added the evolution instrument head, added an Raymarine a75 chart plotter, and bought a ram mic to plug in at the helm (this was an unexpected bonus). There were some other cabling complexities I would be glad to share regarding the evolution system if that is of interest. Hopefully you have all the cables you will actually need already there, but it does get tricky if you keep the 183 network as is. By replacing everything, I have all the data at all instruments, including autopilot on the chartplotter (and on the iPad). And most importantly, I know exactly how my system is set up.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Molly, What you found mirrors what I have in mine. I plan to retain the ST 60 instruments using the SeaTalk to SeaTalk ng convertor. I have already added the ram mic switching to a Standard Horizon radio with a internal GPS. I have to pull in the SeTalk ng backbone and the power for the WheelPilot.

How do you get the data to iPad, using a wireless convertor on the Seatalk backbone?

Did all the cables exit at the aft conduit?

Thanks Jim

Nov 2, 2013
Hunter 33 Anacortes, WA
Jim,

The wireless comes from the new Raymarine a75 chart plotter. Double check on the wheel pilot power cable. Mine was there at the helm, although I had to add a breaker to the DC panel for it and attach the cable there. Then I had to cut it to install the Evolution 100 box between the panel and the helm behind the aft cabin. You might not need to pull that cable. As I recall, everything came down from the helm and was routed along the port side and down through the caulked hole that is near the fuel tank. Even the throttle and shift cable are bundled there. After that, the cables went their separate ways. I had to remove the caulk and then redo it later as water from the cockpit can leak through to the aft cabin. Good luck with pulling the SeaTalk ng cable! I honestly don't think it will fit inside the tube along with everything else, but you might be able to pull it through the pedestal itself. Lewmar said the pedestal was designed for that, but obviously Hunter didn't go that way. I'd strongly suggest you draw a schematic of all the cables and converters before you go too far.

Since I needed both the autopilot and chart plotter, it worked out great for me to replace all instruments and I have the ST 60 instruments to sell or barter. I must say I'm please with Hunter for including the cables where they did and with Raymarine for the ng network, MNEA 2000 instruments, and Evolution autopilot. It all worked great! Can't wait until spring.

John (MollyBarker)

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
John, I did get the caulk but have not been able to pull any wire thru. I did pull out the power which is connected to the panel, mine is marked GPS. I also pulled back the unused power. I attempted to pull the ng cable but no luck. I cut the terminator off and tried again still couldn't get in thru. I will shave the end into a taper and use some wire ease and try again.

I did test run the unit on the boat and it all worked fine, picked up the wind vane data with no problem.

I have installed a lot of marine electronics on a couple of different boats over the years and Hunter did not do anyone a favor with this design. I am glad they ran the cables but sure did make it hard to route additional cables.

I don't need a chart plotter I use my iPad and a Dual bluetooth puck. I may add one in the future.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Have it installed and working. Once I pulled up the cover over the wheel to rudder connection it was easy. Reading all the gauges and the network sees the windvane from the ST60 insturments. I did cut the ng backbone cable and spliced it back together in a Radio Shack project box. I think I will grab the blue and white data lines and run them to my laptop so I can pickup the NMEA data strings. The last time I did that was about 20 years ago.

John were did you buy your Chart Plotter? Christmas is comiming.

Jim

Nov 2, 2013
Hunter 33 Anacortes, WA
I bought everything at Defender. Next project is the Webasto heater, which I suspect you don't need down in the gulf. Then perhaps radar (more helm wire pulling). Best regards.

John

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I bought everything at Defender. Next project is the Webasto heater, which I suspect you don't need down in the gulf. Then perhaps radar (more helm wire pulling). Best regards.

John
No heater need here, I have a 4.2K genset on the boat so I can always run a small eletric heater underway if I need. I do like your a75, I may have to get one. I do have a set of Zarcor doors on order which will be the next item installed. Radar maybe some day.

Have fun.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
John, I just thought of another question, what settings did you use for your rudder angle and hard over time? I put a protractor on the rudder and got 30 degrees port and starboard, the time I used 14 sec. because somone else had used it on another make boat.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.