Help me pick a flashlight?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I found my night sailing toolkit woefully short a few years ago and took it to the next level:
http://www.flir.com/marine/oceanscout/

Turns night into day, contrasts a MOB in red and preserves your night vision. It will cost you 8-10 flashlight-equivalents but combines the long range vision of a binocular.
I agree....
but there are cheap ones of different brands for $99 to $250... these are first gen night vision scopes, and although they are no where close to the quality of the FLIR, they do pick up objects on the water a lot better than they do on land... because water absorbs most of the light, yet the object floating in it will reflect the very small amount of light it takes for the cheap scopes to work...
due to the poorer optics of the cheap scopes, one may not be able to determine exactly what they are seeing in the distance, but at least they will be able to see that something is there in the water so they can run closer and check it out...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you've never looked through a cheap Gen1 scope, don't bother. I bought one of those years ago, fortunately I had a return privilege so I was only out the postage. They are of no use on a boat or on land. Not even good toy quality.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
If you've never looked through a cheap Gen1 scope, don't bother. I bought one of those years ago, fortunately I had a return privilege so I was only out the postage. They are of no use on a boat or on land. Not even good toy quality.
but they were good enough for the military, until the next generation came out.... even the cheap ones today are better than they were several years ago, but then it DOES depend on the manufacture.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Just ordered a marinebeam flashlight. :biggrin:

Now I can spot that bear in the back field that keeps tipping my trash over.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Use the strobe on him!! :laugh:

I tried to return mine. Filled out the return form on their website, but got no response. So ... I reckon I'll just keep it. I have no other workable alternative anyway. I tried out the Coast HP314, but it was ridiculously enormous, with a lousy focus function (push/pull) and STILL did not have the throw of the Marinebeam. Close, but not quite equal.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Use the strobe on him!! :laugh:

I tried to return mine. Filled out the return form on their website, but got no response. So ... I reckon I'll just keep it. I have no other workable alternative anyway. I tried out the Coast HP314, but it was ridiculously enormous, with a lousy focus function (push/pull) and STILL did not have the throw of the Marinebeam. Close, but not quite equal.
Gene, don't give up. Call them. They have great customer service, and they want you to be happy. I think you'd like the smaller version if they have any left.

Sep 30, 2013
Gene, don't give up. Call them. They have great customer service, and they want you to be happy. I think you'd like the smaller version if they have any left.
I called them, about the smaller version. The guy I spoke to was friendly and helpful. I told him I'd buy any old scratch-n-dent one they might still have lying around in the warehouse. He took my number in case one turned up. I also have an alert set up at eBay in case one pops up there. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My light saber has arrived.... hehehe... I was torturing the critters in the field behind my house last night.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Another big fan of the Marinebeam light. It's better than the roof mounted searchlights you see on many powerboats. A couple of extra benefits:

It takes three big D alkaline batteries. That's huge overkill for a single LED bulb. You aren't going to run this down by use and high quality Alkaline batteries last 5+ years. Unlike a rechargeable that need regular charging, this thing is always ready to go. By the way, batteries sitting that long can leak. Marinebeam recommends Ray O Vac which I have also switched to for all alkaline batteries because I've yet to have one leak anywhere.

The tight beam let's you use it at the helm without being blinded by the reflection off the headsails and bright decks/cabin. I find this vision killing reflection to be the biggest problem on a sailboat. My previous West Marine "searchlight" could only be used if I sent someone forward to hold it at the bow pulpit and yelled aiming instructions from the cockpit.

While I like the "light saber" analogy, I think the Crocodile Dundee "That's a flashlight" is better

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I did not know that having a big knife is all you need to get the blonde to kiss you.... Who knew.

Sep 30, 2013
Update!

I just received an email from Marinebeam, saying that the "Ultra Long Range Illuminator RLT" is now available with a simple on-off switch! And they will retrofit mine for $15 plus shipping.

Happy dance!! :dancing: