Help me cure the bad keel blues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daimon Doyle

First off, let me thank the creators of this site and more importantly all of the people that respond. I spent a good 3 hours the other night reading the wealth of information in the forum archives just on the C22. Wow! I am in the midst of purchasing a 1975 C22 for next to nothing. However, the swing keel has become severly worn at the pivot point. It has been removed and I have taken it to a very capable welding shop for repair. Unfortunately, because it's cast, the integrity of the metal has been compromised over the years, and flakes are popping off when heated prior to welding. In addition, grinding into the bad spot, the welder couldn't find "good" metal for the first 1/4" or so and said he couldn't guarantee the weld would hold. We are not certain that the majority of the keel isn't like this and are wondering if we aren't throwing good money after bad. I am wondering if there are any suggestions, or if others have run into this situation. Is there a source for replacement keels somewhere? I have posted pictures of my keel at http://www.hctc.com/~ddoyle/keel/ . I have had a few suggestions such as recessing 1/4" stainless steel plates to each side with a bushing for the pin but am concerned about mixing metals. Spring is here and I want to get her into the water!

R

Rich

Catalina Direct

Catalina Direct can help you with your problem. Try them at catalinadirect.com or 800-959-7245. They publish a parts book for the C22. worst case scenario a brand new keel for around $850. But talk to them. They are always willing to help. They even have a "how to" video on refurbishing the keel. Did mine ast year and it went well. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.