Help me clean my dirty bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
Hi all,
My '79 Hunter 33 has been sitting idle at dock for two years (including Hurricane Sandy). I finally had it hauled and the bottom cleaned up reasonably well with just a power washing, all things considered. The majority of the bottom paint applied two years ago was pretty much intact. There are however, lots of small barnacles and growth that should be removed prior to painting. The yard requires dustless sanding. I'm not trying to remove all the old paint. I did a bottom coat job a few years back. I also switched bottom paints with the last painting. For years I was using the Interlux Micron paints, but changed over to the Aquagard line primarily for cost.
Now, since I don't really want to strip all the paint, but primarily the growths, what would be the best route to follow?
I found an adapter skirt on EBay that fits over a grinder head and connects to a Shop Vac, but I also saw several dustless sanders used for drywall. I was wondering if anyone has used these and if they work.
Thanks

Attachments

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I would try a multitool with a scraper type blade on it, no dust, I don't know if the yard would allow that or not. Maybe if you laid a tarp down ?

Bob

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello capejt,

I agree with Bob on the scraper idea.

If you want to go low-tech you could use a "painter's tool" from the local hardware store or home center. I used one with very good results on a hull that was covered with barnicles. The growth and the boat were out of the water for several months which meant the critters were very dead and brittle.

I followed the scraping with a wash with On & Off and second scrape. There was little or no damage to the paint or the hull. Use of a tarp under the hull is of course a requirement.

Suggestion: Multiple scrapers, several sailing buddies, adequate snacks and beverages. Job done in short order.

Phil

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I'm with 31seahorse on this one. It sounds like it will take froever, but it really isn't that bad. The Painters tool and a good pair of leather or kevlar gloves and you'll have it done in a few hours. Get friends to help, and it will be done in no time. Beer.........beer helps.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
every month we scrape bottom of boat. in water--monthly or prn scrapings. just before leaving on a passage and when the need arises.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Thanks for your responses. I was really hoping for a quick and easy solution, but it looks like I'm gonna be scrapin'! OH BOY!

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Simple solution is to move it to a marina that doesn't have stupid rules like that so you can do it properly. ;)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...The yard requires dustless sanding. ...
They might just be saying you have to sand with sander that has a vacuum attached to it. If so that isn't hard to get around. Our yard requires that if you are sanding antifouling paint. We can either rent from them at a reasonable rate or buy our own.

Even sanding you will probably want to scrap first. Bottom work is pretty messy, hard work and slow so no real way past that other than hiring it done which a lot of people do,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

capejt

May 17, 2004
Actually, the yard I'm in now even offers free use of their vac and sander. I've always preferred to DIY. I have the sander, I have the Vac, I just need to figure out how to combine them (different hose sizes).
While I'm at it, any suggestions for paper grit? I was thinking 60 or 80. I'm not going for smooth as glass racing finish, just good enough to hold the new paint.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Actually, the yard I'm in now even offers free use of their vac and sander. I've always preferred to DIY. I have the sander, I have the Vac, I just need to figure out how to combine them (different hose sizes).
While I'm at it, any suggestions for paper grit? I was thinking 60 or 80. I'm not going for smooth as glass racing finish, just good enough to hold the new paint.
if you have a radom orbital sander 80 grit should be just fine...and by the way ware a dust mask when you do this the stuff in that paint is murder on your lungs if you can stand it put a fan up where you are working so that the you are between the fan and the down wind side of the work you are doing....

regards

woody

JohnS

Sep 25, 2008
Islander (Wayfarer/McGlasson) 32 St Georges Harbor
Last time I did my boat, I used a shop vac with a RO sander, and there was hardly any dust that didn't get sucked up. Still, there is some, and you'll likely end up with a good coating on you. Definitely use a dust mask. To make it a little easier to maneuver, I taped the power cord to the vacuum hose very couple feet with painters tape.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
If you enclose the hull area in plastic, would they let you soda blast it? Harbor Freight sells a blaster for under $100, and they operate at low pressure so you could rent a small compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.