(Help) Irwin 34 Compression Post Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2010
Irwin 34 Citation Florida
Hello All,

I'm the proud new owner of an Irwin 34 Citation. Love the lines. The previous owner decided to remove the compression post and bulkheads (gives me something to do).

Are there any Irwin 34 owners in here that can tell me the dimensions of the compression post.

I know the original was a wood post in the head, attached to the corner of the bulkhead. From the hole in the corner of the shower pan I'm guessing it was roughly 2.5" by 2.5" and framed. I also know it extends 2" below the pan to rest on the keel.

What I don't know and (for me) the most critical factor is: "What is the height" (length) :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you in advanced. :D

Victor

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
You can talk to the builder at irwinyachts.com gene gammon once u get to website, scroll to bottom to enter site. He also does repairs. You can probably just measure it, it stops right at the 'ceiling' and there should be a couple bolts that come in thru the top once the mast is off. Make sure the step that the post sits on, in the bottom of boat is solid, and the the hull above is not damaged. Where in Fl. are you located?

Jun 14, 2010
Jim,

Thank you for the info. Gene sent me here to ask the question, he could not recall the length.

The main problem is:
1.The previous owner removed the post and bulkheads
2. I do not have the original compression post
3. The deck has sagged and I'm not sure how far.

I installed a jack stand to raise the desk but I don't know if it is too high, too low, ...
I will probably install a s40 stainless or s80 aluminium post

I'm in the JAX area.

Thank you once again.

Victor

Aug 5, 2007
- - Trenton, Michigan
Compression post & Chainplates

Last year I replaced my rotted compression (it rotted on the top where it met the cabin roof).
I used 2 1/4" Stainless Tube. 77 - 7/8" long. Everything went well... until last week when I found that 2 of the three Chain Plates on the port side were fixed only to the teak ply of the head's bulkhead. There is some water damage there too and now I'm trying to figure out how to extend the chainplates down to some stronger fixed fiberglass.

Hope this helps. If anybody has some advice for the chainplate mounting ... I would love to hear about it.

Greg

Jun 14, 2010
Greg,

Thank you for the information. I purchased and will use a 2.5" schedule 80 aluminum post.

I had to replace my bulkheads, so I am using 3/4" marine plywood, resin soaked. I am using the original chain plates. I had to recreate one of the long chain plates from scratch but I chose not to make it longer.

As you know, the Irwin uses two short and on long chain plate on each sides. I don't see where l could attach a longer chain plate if I made one, it would still be attached to the bulkhead with a teak spacer. I am going to use a nylon bushing in each of the holes of the bulkhead where the chain plate bolts down. this should further reduce future water damage. I will also replace the small deck stainless steel plates with a larger plate that has a backing plate on the inside. I did consider using 3/4" Nida core to make the new bulkhead, it would be waterproof, but it is pricey. When my chain plate failed it tore out a section on the deck. The deck section will be rebuilt with Nida core.

Hope this helps.

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.