Help - Insulation Crumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2004
- - Miami
Hi, I have a '93 Hunter P42 and found that the sound/heat insulation that was used in the engine room and other compartments is crumbling and leaves a sticky black mess where ever it falls. I tried re-gluing the foil cover back on but it simply falls away as the foam insulation under it continues to shed. I'm at the point on taking it all off before it winds up in the bilge. Any suggestions/replacement ideas?

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Go for it, ASAP

I used the 12" square stuff from sailorssoulutions.com. They self glue-on. But I can't see how they would stick to anything but new construction. But they can be held mechanically too. Also West Marine has the larger sheets on sale. And put the old stuff in thick lawn-waste bags. And double the bags. Crumbly foam is nasty. But take heart. You won't believe how much nicer your boat sounds (or doesn't sound). Keep in mind the rule of physics that says something to the affect that a 10% opening will transmit 90% of the sound. So close up everything including the floor/pan if you can. These guys have paint-on sound proofing for the engine pan but I haven't tried it. http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/default.asp You can let in air by placing a tile in front of another. And a blower to get rid of heat is good too. This stuff also insulates. In fact, that's what probably killed your foam,,,, Nah, it was just cheap stuff. Good luck, just take your time and use that mylar tape too.

Status
Not open for further replies.