Help in finding a spring for Yanmar 4JH2E

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
When changing the oil I found this broken spring hanging down. Not sure of its purpose but I am pretty sure it goes horizontally from where it is attached to a hole in a small piece of metal coming out from the engine. It is some sort of a damping spring.

Does anyone know this part number or the overall length of the part as shown on the sketch? Any help would be appreciated. It looks like I may have a sea water leak of some sort that I need to track down too.

pic 1.jpg

spring 2.jpg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
find the yanmar gold dealer near you, send off the pic w yr engine model and year and they''ll find it in the parts catalog. our yanmar gold dealer is niemec marine in massachusetts tho we live in PA. you could also try niemec, they are awesome .

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I think I have found the part. It is the Governor return spring, part no 104104-67300. I was able to google a parts catalog for the 4JH2 series Yanmars. I'll try the local Yanmar dealers and see if he can get it or I can order it from Toad Marine.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hate to tell ya smokey, but you have a sea water leak.
Replace the spring and the next job is a clean up and leak repair.
better now than later

gary

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Hate to tell ya smokey, but you have a sea water leak.
Replace the spring and the next job is a clean up and leak repair.
better now than later

gary
Agreed. I figured that since it was obviously corrosion and there is evidence of leakage elsewhere. Tracking that down is the next step. Not sure what is leaking yet but I suspect that its the "vent" tube from my dripless shaft seal (PSS). Not sure what other possible seawater lines are on that side of the engine. I'm going to repost the picture under a different title to see if anyone has any suggestions.