Help identifying transducer

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
18B14C28-2CD0-4698-821E-2E992FDE73D6.jpeg
I am looking to install a new transducer and while looking for a suitable location I discovered a transducer that I have not been able to identify its purpose. In the attached photo there are 3 units. The two black are for my old instruments (1 transducer for depth and 1 paddle wheel for speed). The third (grey one) is the one in question. It is not a through hull (Not visible from the exterior of the hull). It's wire leads aft but heads skyward along the starboard side near the forward most bulkhead. I have been unable to trace it any further. So, can anyone identify this unit?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I’m only guessing here, as I have not seen a through hull sensor installation that does not penetrate the outer hull, perhaps water temperature or a water level sensor, or bilge switch below the cabin sole?

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
If it doesn't penetrate the hull than my guess would be a through the hull depth transducer. Disconnect it and see if you get depth readings.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Based upon how it is installed, and the retention pin, it sure looks like a through hull to me. Maybe sanded and filled from the outside at some point?

Nov 30, 2015
:plus: for @pateco . The center transducer is a Through Hull Paddlewheel, the rightmost transducer is a Shoot Through Hull Depth Sounder (puck type) as evidenced by the circumferential epoxy or silicone filet at the base of the unit. Therefore we know this should (must) be a solid hull installation location. As Chip has indicated this is a definite Through Hull sensor, so most likely a non-functional depth sounder sealed off by PO from the outside of the hull.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2012
It sure looks like a through hull with that retention nut. I'll have to give a better effort tracing the wire aft when it warms up a tad. I'll also take a closer look at the exterior hull for possible patch work. Wouldn't it be nice if it turned out to be an abandoned transducer with the right size hole for my new one. Any thoughts on locating a new transducer in that same area with the existing working transducer? Any interference issues? Thanks for the replies!

Nov 30, 2015
Any thoughts on locating a new transducer in that same area with the existing working transducer? Any interference issues? Thanks for the replies!
Well my first thought is to not put any new holes in your boat at that location. Unfortunately it’s not likely that any of the newer Through Hull sounders will fit that hole...but maybe. What’s the sidewall patch in the background, behind the curious transducer, all about? Your shoot through the hull (puck style) transducer/sounder should work with a lot of newer equipment. Is that currently not working? Perhaps just a remount will serve you well.

Mar 24, 2012
I've definitely got to go back to the drawing board. The more I think about it, maybe I screwed up my bearings. The large black one sure looks like a shoot through the hull like you said. The grey one is probably the original. It was loaded with barnacles when I took the boat out. I was in the water for half the summer before my first trip out (waiting for a new furler) so I never established if it works. No idea on that patch. Another thing to investigate while I'm down there.

Nov 30, 2015
That’s the spirit! Take a few more looks when the weather improves and fondle this old (new to you) girl friend with intent. She’ll appreciate your concern, tenderness, and appropriate repairs...but maybe the old stuff works just fine with the right touch.