Help ID this boat, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2011
none none Lake Travis
Hi everyone. This is my first post so please be gentle :)

Unfortunately, all I have is this lousy photo. It is in rough shape but if the hull is sound I may buy it this weekend. I figure it will need all new sails, rigging and possibly keel and rudder.

Any idea what boat, year, model, etc. it is? It looks to be in the 15-20' range. Could it be a fun project or just another hole in the water?

I am trying to identify this boat:

Attachments

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Not sure which boat it is but with that laundry list, I would not pay much, if anything for it. Many cheap boats out there that need less and probably cost the same.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ahhh, that looks like a pass to me. While negotiating remember that the current owner will have to pay by the pound at the dump.

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
Even the trailer is junk. I'd pass. $100 is way too much for that. For what it will cost you to get a new trailer, sails, and rudder you could probably get a decent used boat that has all that stuff.

If it really needs a keel it is junk and the owner/auction house should be paying to have it hauled away.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Prof, with the sails and rigging, outboard engine, and other parts, you could easily spend $2000 and more getting that boat up to snuff. There are boats around at that price that might need a little work, but could be sailed.. Look in the Austin paper and on this website: http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats.html
Look for established boats, like the Catalina 22, Spirit 21 (made in Austin late 70's) San Juan 21.. Hunter 23 or smaller.. etc.. I don't mean to exclude some brands, these come to mind.. Look in the Dallas paper and Craig's List .. With Lake Travis down 50 feet, there should be some bargains around Austin.

Feb 19, 2007
Hunter 30_74-83 St. Petersburg, FL
Like a marine surveyor once told me RUN!!! this is not your cream puff. Be patient, it'll come you. In the meantime RUN!!!!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Do not buy an incomplete boat! It could cost well over $1000 to aquire so many missing parts.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Lake Travis, TX
I ditto Claude's comments. The recent LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) comments about the forecast Lake Travis levels this year and the the updated La Nina forecast suggest that the lake levels will not be returning to normal levels for guite some time. In the meanwhile, there will probably be some great bargains for whole and sailable now boats for sale. Visit the marinas and ask for a list of inslip boats that are behind in their slip fees. Contact the owners and try to bargain. This is great time to be creative.

That sailboat has been neglected for years and unless someone identifies it as being something worth restoring, I would run. It's ugly. Good luck.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/lcra-preps-for-drought-into-next-year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-yeager/la-nina-2011_b_956853.html

sdfox

Sep 3, 2009
Catalina 27 Duluth
It looks like a Leeward 16. I think they were kit boats back in the late 70's early 80's.

scotty

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
dont buy it,like everyone else has said,buy the time u buy all the missing stuff and a gallon of paint,u could have bought a 25 or 30 ft boat with nonthing missing.now is the perfect time to buy boats cheap because people can no longer afford to pay slip fee for project boats.i gave away a cal 28 not long ago,everything was there just needed tlc that i didnt have time to give it.look and ask around,find a boat that is complete,even if its filthy needs paint and teak work, new cushions whatever,as long as its complete

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I agree with sdfox, might be a Leeward 16; sails, rigging and a rudder will run at least $1800 unless you find used gear, I'd pass on it.

Jul 15, 2011
Pearson 36-2 Mathews Point
You need to be careful if it is a Lugar. Most of them were sold as kit boats, put together by novices. You never know what short cuts were taken. I have seen Lugars with pulleys off house windows. Of course it may be alright but you need to check over the whole boat carefully for construction problems. I think I would pass.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'll be as gentle as I can.... How much are they paying you to haul that derilict away? I would not do it for less than $300.

Sep 20, 2011
none none Lake Travis
Thanks all for the info. I may still go check it out. Maybe I can sell the mast for scrap and make a sandbox for my daughter out of the hull ;) I am a sucker for projects but y'all have pretty much confirmed my expectations. I needed a name and value on the boat before beginning another folly.

I have always been a ski boat owner but have been without a boat for the past 5 years. Now that my daughter is getting older I am looking for a way back on the water. I am looking for something trailer-able. I have looked at cats and lasers but have not pulled the trigger on anything.

We have plenty of water around here. I grew up on Lake Travis but probably won't put a boat back in it until we see some rain. There are other constant level lakes nearby.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
RUN DONT WALK away from that.

I have purchased and restored 5 old beat up boats and this is what I can say is FACT. A 40 year old boat is ALWAYS FREE and what you are actually paying for is the sails, the trailer and the outboard. The sails will be $800+ and an new 4-stroke O.B. will run you at least $1,200. A new trailer will cost you $2,000 (and forget about finding a decent used trailer -- they don't exist). A new keel will cost you several hundred to fabricate.....

Someone else already said it but you can find a nice boat with a working O.B. and usable sails for half that. Try craigslist, eBay and the local list serves.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
A friend of mine years ago was "given" an Oday 19 (I think) that was in really rough shape. He thought he could fix it up a bit and have a nice cheap sail boat. HAH! Two years and thousand of dollars later he had a sail boat. He said it was the worst mistake he ever made. Keep looking. There are always great deals out there that will get you on the water a lot faster than starting with a project boat. I also echo other sentiments regarding Lugers. Kit boats=home built=trouble.

Just my two cents.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Freedom is 34 years old and is still in pretty good shape. However I need to replace halyards, some blocks, misc hardware, interior, porta pottie, woodwork etc. tuneup outboard and other small stuff. I think I'm looking at $800-$1000 and this is a boat in good shape. I think others are right, It's a Leeward 16 kit boat. Don't waste time, money or effort. RUN!!! Economy, unfortunately, being what it is, there are some good deals on decent boats. Look for a Venture 21, or Venture 22 or Catalina 22 for a starter. Good boats and easy to get parts. Catalina 22 was just inducted into the Sailboat Hall of Fame. Biggest selling production boat in history. Fair winds and full sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.