Help, I can't input "0" for my mmsi into my vhs

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I bought a new Standard Horizon GX1300 and finally got an mmsi number. I go to input my number and the vhs doesn't have "0" as an option, it goes from 1-9 only for my first number, and my two starting numbers are 0... The manual doesn't mention anything about 0's, but shows 0 in an illustration. I figure someone else on here must've ran into this before so I'm looking for any answer how to do this. The SH help phone number is closed right now so no help there as of yet.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You are on the right track by contacting Standard Horizon. Worst case is you could mail the radio to them to program it in. I did see your manual shows a "0" programmed into the VHF radio. My MMSI number did not include any "0's" so never came across that issue when I programmed my Standard Horizon GX2200 and HX851 radios.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Is it possible that the leading 00 are not to be programmed? Just a thought

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I have nine digits with the first two being zeros, same amount of spaces in the vhs input.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
On mine, it’s a step select numerical entry within the MMSI menu. Just cycle through the digits to select ‘0’. If you’ve tried and failed, you can’t re-enter the number unless you have the program software from SH.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I go to input my number and the vhs doesn't have "0" as an option, it goes from 1-9 only for my first number, and my two starting numbers are 0..
That is an odd looking MMSI number and I think there is something amiss. My quick research shows that only Coastal Stations/Shore Stations use MMSI numbers with 2 leading zeros. I am not sure if this has anything to do with your issue but begs the question as to why a recreational vessel would be issued with one that starts with 2 zeroes. Note in the link below regarding improper use of an MID.

MMSI - USCG

Edit: This link shows all international MID. USA is normally 303, 338, 366 thru 369 plus a couple of others.

Table of Maritime Identification Digits

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Agree with Hello Below..............my MMSI number begins with 338. You could cancel that MMSI number and obtain a new MMSI one.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
That is an odd looking MMSI number and I think there is something amiss. My quick research shows that only Coastal Stations/Shore Stations use MMSI numbers with 2 leading zeros. I am not sure if this has anything to do with your issue but begs the question as to why a recreational vessel would be issued with one that starts with 2 zeroes. Note in the link below regarding improper use of an MID.

MMSI - USCG

Edit: This link shows all international MID. USA is normally 303, 338, 366 thru 369 plus a couple of others.

Table of Maritime Identification Digits
I filled the application out through boatsus, was pretty straightforward that it was recreational, this is all brand new to me. I'll call SH now that they are supposedly open and will report back. Thanks

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
On mine, it’s a step select numerical entry within the MMSI menu. Just cycle through the digits to select ‘0’. If you’ve tried and failed, you can’t re-enter the number unless you have the program software from SH.
0 wasn't an option, it went from 9, right back to 1 skipping 0.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Oh boy... Of course I screwed up! The number I tried inputting was like a "for inference #" not my number which I see now... Dumb. Thanks for your help everyone.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks for closing this off George_NJ. As an addendum, I will add that your SH GX1300 is a Class D VHF. It seems that a Class D VHF is used only by recreational boaters. Ergo the SH radio will never require (or allow) either of the first 2 digits to be a zero.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Thanks for closing this off George_NJ. As an addendum, I will add that your SH GX1300 is a Class D VHF. It seems that a Class D VHF is used only by recreational boaters. Ergo the SH radio will never require (or allow) either of the first 2 digits to be a zero.
From the USCG site Hello Below pointed to, is the statement:
"MIDs are three digit identifiers ranging from 201 to 775 denoting the administration (country) or geographical area of the administration responsible for the ship station so identified."
And the MID is the first three digits of the MMSI. So the first digit could not be a "0", but the second digit could be.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I spend hours configuring my new SH VHF radio. And now 7 months later I will have give myself a refresher course before using for this winter's RC work here in FL. The MMSI wasn't so bad. All the DSC options and some other features still aren't clear. But since I would have to become the radio Czar and have all the RC radios conform to my setup, which isn't going to happen, I don't need most of those functions.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I spend hours configuring my new SH VHF radio. And now 7 months later I will have give myself a refresher course before using for this winter's RC work here in FL. The MMSI wasn't so bad. All the DSC options and some other features still aren't clear. But since I would have to become the radio Czar and have all the RC radios conform to my setup, which isn't going to happen, I don't need most of those functions.
Yeah, I don't have much need for most of the other options as well, that automatic distress call with the GPS is what sold me on the vhf radio, that's piece of mind incase something happened to me out on the water whether alone or with the family or friends. The only place I heard anything on it was when we were on the Hudson River in NYC, we're usually on smaller NJ inland lakes.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Plus one on that- Whenever I go out with my younger kids and non sailing friends I show them how to lift the flap and press that button. I tell them “if it all goes south press this, help will come find you”. Puts my mind at ease with the kids, and I find greatly relaxes first time boaters. Everyone enjoys themselves more.