HELP! Heat Exchanger failure - broken metal joint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
A reported coolant leak turned out to be a break in the heat exchanger - the piece onto which the cap is fastened broke off the exchanger itself. Engine is Volvo-Penta MD-2030 (3-cyl diesel). I think the center part sheared (but don't know how). The copper liner in the exchanger appears to be replaceable (?) Is this repairable - or do I require a new heat exchanger?

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ken Check with Dick Vosbury over in Annapolis

Phone 1-800-427-3451

Jun 7, 2004
More info on failure

There is a brass or copper fitting, pressed into the cast heat exchanger. This is the part that has the overflow tube attachment point, and onto which the "radiator cap" is attached. It is comparatively thin metal, and cooper color. This is the part that broke - not the cast iron heat exchanger housing. I checked the coolant mixture - protection good to below -20, and with that mild winter - no way freezing had anything to do with it. I'll try Vosbury on Monday - when they are open.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Please Update Us

Ken, Sorry I can't offer any help with your problem, however, I am sure a lot of us would like to hear the outcome to your problem. Please let us know what was required to repair your engine. Thanks, Tom

B

Bill

Heat Exchanger Problem

Ken I also have the same motor (but without the expansion tank) on a Bavaria 34. I have not heard of the problem, but would be interested in you you finished up fixing it. Bill

Dec 29, 2005
- - Sydney Australia Bavaria 32
Broken metal fitting

Hi Ken presuming you solved this problem how did you do it? Regards Peter

Jun 7, 2004
New Heat Exchanger going in this week

The Heat exchanger will be replaced - including the core (or element). The original failure is not repairable because the copper fitting was sheared off. Also, upon removal of the exchanger, it became clear that raw water had entered the system and caused corrosion, and damage to the starter and the alternator, so those parts will be replaced as well, and we suspect a failure in the exchanger element was the original cause. The engine has less than 300 hrs, and these parts were never been opened or disassembled, prior to this spring. With the repairs completed, the engine will be essentially new again. The repairs are being done by an authorized Volvo repair center - Outstanding Marine (Eastern Shore, MD) with consultation from Vosbury Marine (Annapolis), and Volvo-Penta. VERY expensive!! Thank you all who responded here, and off-forum. - Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.