Help figuring out existing bow wiring please

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
Hello all – am new to a 2000 Beneteau 361 and am installing an electric anchor windlass.

Within the windlass/electrical compartment accessed from the bow cabin, there are two sets of wiring - One goes to the bow NAV lights and the other has two plastic connections attached to nothing. Anyone have experience with the unused wires? Would be terribly lucky if the anchor windless was pre-wired but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this and tried to use those wires for an anchor windlass.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Would be terribly lucky if the anchor windless was pre-wired but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this and tried to use those wires for an anchor windlass.
What gauge are they?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Are the wires numbered ? Mine all are , they ran extra wires for fans , speakers etc. Then look at your schematic it tells you what the wires are for. Mentioned above windless min gauge would be #8 or lower #6, #4, #2 depending on the windless you buy and that's to the contactors which should mount below v-berth. To the v- berth from the batteries should be like #2/0 tinned marine wire Smaller wires cannot handle the current and will light up and could cause a fire, windless takes a lot of current ,so much motor should always be running.

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
Thanks much justsomeguy, Ron20324 and Mechone! I took another look at the existing wires - they're perhaps 12 gauge at best. So I'll run separate wires for the Anchor Windlass. Thanks again!

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
The wires could be for a control relay for the windlass or thruster. I have both and there is a dedicated battery behind a forward cover. A reversing relay would take 3 control wires.
1606678887748.png