Help calculating hardware loads! detailed hardware plan for hunter23

Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
Hey everyone,

Short version: I am trying to find out if the hardware I am choosing is rated for high enough loads for my boat and wind scenarios.

long version:
I have a hunter 23 and am currently planning on running halyards back to the cockpit. This is my planned setup so far:

**may have to swap the deck organizer for a double stacked cheek block from another manufacturer*

This falls under their "small boat" hardware suggestions :
1712933729367.png

1712933759727.png

** I'll just be doing 2 halyards.

I am having a hard time learning about how to calculate load forces on each piece of hardware. Harken has a mainsheet load calculator, but not specifically a halyard load calculator. Is that the same measurement?

this is their mainsheet load calc with my specs in 25knots of wind (would definitely reef before this but I like a good buffer)
1712934851403.png

The mastbase upright double block is the lowest rated piece at 600lbs (I think that would be about 300 per halyard?) I could put two separate blocks instead if that makes more sense. The single versions are rated for 300 each.
1712935093492.png

1712935160029.png

Does this sound like a safe setup? Am I missing anything?

I am a visual learner so sorry for the massive pic dump. Hopefully it helps someone else with this same question in the future.

Thank you for any insight!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you have any questions afterwards, feel free to send a private message to me

former Hunter dealer who sold the 23 wing keel

Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
If you have any questions afterwards, feel free to send a private message to me

former Hunter dealer who sold the 23 wing keel
Thank you dave! you have helped me in a few previous posts and in countless other posts on this forum. I reached out to harken and they basically said all of their small boat gear would be fine on the h23. He also said there was no real way to calculate halyard load.

Do you by chance remember what the halyard thickness is for these boats? And theoretically, would outhaul and halyard need to be the same thickness?

Thanks!