Help: Aqua Signal 40 anchor light LED replacement

Braden

Feb 11, 2017
Hi Gang.
Been away working for months and now I can finally concentrate on the spring projects.
Want to replace the anchor light in my Aqua Signal 40 with the Dr LED replacement.
I think I see the one I want -700442 in the Defender Cat:
http://www.defender.com/product3.js...hite&path=-1|65136|2312566|2312568&id=1200640
but I can't understand why it would be INDEXED and DOUBLE CONTACT, if it's just a plain white all round bulb. Wouldn't it just be non-indexed and single? Am I missing something? Trying not to have to climb the mast twice!
And speaking of not climbing twice, is it the same bulb for the tri-color lens in the same unit?

Thanks, guys. Good to be home.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
but I can't understand why it would be INDEXED and DOUBLE CONTACT, if it's just a plain white all round bulb. Wouldn't it just be non-indexed and single? Am I missing something? Trying not to have to climb the mast twice!
The indexing will assure that the negative contact on the LED bulb will be oriented properly, and relatively foolproof for any installer. Doesn't mean that the wiring isn't foolproof, though. ;)

Have you looked here for your LEDs? http://shop.sailboatowners.com/cu/detail-led.php
Item 819254.

I would expect to make two ascents, anyway. Perhaps that's just me.

And speaking of not climbing twice, is it the same bulb for the tri-color lens in the same unit?
Not sure you can use an LED behind a tri-colored lens. There certainly could be tri-colored LEDs out there, where that base indexing would really come into play.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
BR, I replaced my Nav/Anchor lights on my mast last year. I used the Aqua Signal 40 model body.
Here is the info. Check out the SBO Shop for the lights.
It took a
3 color bulb for the Nav Lights - Nav Bulb - Ser. 40 LED Tri-Color DC Bayonet, Indexed Pins Dr LED
Mfg# 8001450
315195_DLE_370982_AL1.jpg

And for the Anchor Light an:
Dr Led - Mfg# 8001757All White Nav Bulb - Ser. 40 LED Single Color Indexed DC Bayonet
Specification:
Vis. Miles 2 nm
Replacement For AQS #90005⁄90006
Usage Anchor & Stern
Series AQS 40-55 (2nm Bulbs)
Volts 12⁄24V
Type DC BAY Indexed LED Nav Light Bulb
Color White
Base Type BAY15D
370982-dr-led-dle-40-led-ppm.jpg

NOTES:
The indexed pins ensure that the bulb is facing in the correct direction within the light fixture.

• 2nm visibility
• Tri-Color - Red/Green/White
• Ultra-rugged with no filament to burn out or break
• Glass portion measures 1"Dia. x 1-7/8"H (25mm x 47mm)

• Note: White LED bulbs should never be used behind colored lenses in nav lights, as they will not produce the required brightness.
Only the corresponding colored LED should be used in nav lights with colored lenses

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Braden, the Dr LED press release regarding USCG certification does not say the tricolor bulb is certified. It says the individual white, red and green are certified.
Go to the Dr LED website and read it. It's very carefully worded and IMHO a little misleading.

Link http://www.doctorled.com/p21.htm

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Braden, purchased all our interior and exterior LED bulbs from Marinebeam.com. Very satisfied with the results. That would be my recommendation.