Helm Steering Wheel Moved?

Dec 10, 2003
Hunter 30_88-94 Edmonds, WA
1990 Hunter 30 with Edson pedestal wheel steering. I have a quick release nut so I can hang the wheel on the rail for more cockpit space, and did so this weekend. When I replaced the wheel at departure, the top center mark was at 3 o'clock. There is a key way in the wheel, and a key in the shaft, so it can only go on one way.

Any ideas what might have shifted?

Dec 10, 2003
There is no lock on the steering gear that I know of, just an Edson wheel break, which I keep tight when at port. No way the rudder could move with the brake on, wheel or no wheel.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
1990 Hunter 30 with Edson pedestal wheel steering. I have a quick release nut so I can hang the wheel on the rail for more cockpit space, and did so this weekend. When I replaced the wheel at departure, the top center mark was at 3 o'clock. There is a key way in the wheel, and a key in the shaft, so it can only go on one way.

Any ideas what might have shifted?
Maybe you reversed the wheel. I do that sometimes on my boat.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
unless you have a rudder position indicator or can see the quadrant, the rudder could move. The brake is a brake, not a lock. The only other possibility is the cable chain slipped. The wheel on our old 40.5 couldn’t be reversed.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
The rudder moved. DO NOT think that the wheel brake will keep things locked. While it works most of the time repeated wave action and boat rocking will move the rudder. As noted above it is a brake not a lock.

Dec 10, 2003
Turns out the wheel can be flipped...which I did. Everything is line up again. Feeling a little foolish. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Turns out the wheel can be flipped...which I did. Everything is line up again. Feeling a little foolish. Thanks for the great suggestions.
Dean, you FOOL.... :banghead:Before you do the "other" foolish thing, maybe make a way to hang the engine key on the wheel when it is moved to the rail. At a B club trip to another marina, one fellow put the wheel on the rail. Next morning he was backing out of the slip then realized he had not remounted the wheel on the helm. No damage done except to his pride...