Helm Seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2010
Catalina 36 MK II Miami, FL
Cannot see over Nav pod when sitting. Any recommendation for a helm seat? Looked at Blue Heron Marine chair but seems pricey. Any one have experience with this product?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
I built this helm seat because I could not see over the cabin on my C30. It is 1/2" x 1-1/2" teak spaced 1/2" on an aluminum angle frame. Quickly removed for access to the aft locker. The only thing in the locker is the alcohol tank for the stove so I am seldom in there.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In all seriousness

consider removing the Navpod. When I first saw the new C375 a few years ago, I wrote:

"Helm instruments. Call me crazy, but unless you're a professional basketball player there's no way you could see over that package of electronics. While we prefer to "keep it simple" on our boat, I know people love and some depend on this array, but I think it takes away from the sailing. First there's the plastic to look around or over, then there's a dodger with plastic to look through..."

Indeed, we do keep it simple and I've arranged our autopilot so that I can work it from both behind the wheel as well as in front of the wheel. I avoid being a slave to "behind the wheel" antics. I find it much more comfortable to spend time more towards the center of the boat and not behind the wheel as much as possible.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
I do not like being behind the wheel, that is why I made the helm seat go all the way across the stern. In light wind I sit on the lee side, when the wind picks up I move to the weather side. Sunday, our 5 year old and 2-1/2 year old granddaughters went sailing for the first time. Plenty of room on the seat for all.

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
check out C cushions.com

someone posted this site sometime back, it is a real nice shaped foam with that thick vinyl coating, a hundred and some bucks but looks real nice.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
WestMarine just came out with a new seat that elevates, supports your back, and has arm rests for about $129. I got one for my wife so she can see over the cockpit. I was using a gaming chair from Target, uncomfortable after an hour or so, and the new one will fold up and stow away. Very padded, very comfy. Well worth the money.

Jan 2, 2010
Catalina 36 MK II Miami, FL
How does it fit on?

WestMarine just came out with a new seat that elevates, supports your back, and has arm rests for about $129. I got one for my wife so she can see over the cockpit. I was using a gaming chair from Target, uncomfortable after an hour or so, and the new one will fold up and stow away. Very padded, very comfy. Well worth the money.
Is any intallation required or does it sit on top of the existing seat?

Apr 5, 2010
Re: How does it fit on?

Just sits on top, can move anywhere. Lazyboy for sailors, gonna use it this afternoon. It comes with a detachable drinkholder, I don't know why, I tossed mine down into the darkness somewhere. Probably will buy a second one so wife or I can lounge about in it while the other navigates. The back will recline from 90 deg to several positions out to flat for full recline. Found the ad and item #. High-Back Go-Anywhere Seat 2, $129.99, model 10967917 online. Won't show online unless you put in item #, brand new.

Apr 5, 2010
Re: How does it fit on?

Just noticed what you have, my neighbor also has a Catalina 36 and tried the seat, likes it, fits across the transom seat perfect. I have a single backstay so have to position to one side or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.