Helm chart plotter wiring

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Hi, I need help with running wiring from my new axiom. Im replacing the old C120 and have tried using the +/- wires from the old cable but for some reason there is no power. I may have shorted connection when I cut off the old C120 plug, I've checked all switches and ok.
Question is, where does the +/- connect into the ships power? I'll need to run a new line and also a backbone cable down through the cockpit table leg which then seems to disappear into the headliner in rear birth.
Using the old cable would be much easier, but tracing it's connection is not.
Any help would be appreciated.
Craig

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
check for a inline fuse along the wire. If you cut it when it was live you may have blown this fuse or it could have just tripped the breaker.

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Yes a possibility but all breakers are ok, maybe an inline fuse but where does the wiring run and where does the loom connect to supply, I also need to run a backbone cable for Raymarine Axiom and feed seems to run into the headliner of aft room, from there, who knows!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When I installed my chart plotter I wired it to a spare breaker on the breaker panel. As Norman suggested the circuit may have an inline fuse that has blown, thus no power. You need to open up your circuit breaker panel and start diagnosing the problem. The backbone cable goes somewhere for a power source. It's easy to throw up your hands in futility, but to learn how your boat was put together and what makes it run is all part of the fun of owning a boat. Yes, they can be perplexing at times, but just keep in mind, some person put it together. When you find that out, it becomes a very rewarding feeling.

It helps to have a quality volt meter to sort some of this stuff. Likely the chart plotter was installed by the PO. Under normal circumstances power comes from three possible sources; panel breaker, battery terminal, power buss. Look for those wires that have the same gauge as appears at the helm. Likely that the chart plotter wires are connected to one of the panel breakers. If in doubt, put a buzzer or tone on possible wires. Put the buzzer or tone on the chart plotter power end and use an electrical device to check where the tone appears on the panel. Rather than tone the power wire, do so on the neutral, in case there is a blown fuse somewhere. If it were my boat, I would use the existing wire and figure out how to get power from the source to the Axiom.

Our boat model is similar in size with all these complex systems. I get very frustrated at times trying to figure out why one of them does not work. When I do fix it myself, very gratifying, and you will get to know your boat in the process. Just my two cents worth.

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Thanks Terry, yes I have a pretty nice multi Meyer and have been doing checks. Problem with Hunter here is that the looms were put in place before cockpit moulding was dropped in, I can see where the cables are exiting from underside of cockpit into the portside aft locker/garage. I managed to get hold of Joe from from Sailboat owners, he was the electrician at the time and designed the system but he also said that system could be different depending on which electrician wired the boat. Joe said if you can find the loom with the red wire/black trace and a yellow they are the plotter wires. I have found those wires so I can splice a new feed, but I still need to get a mouse wire/tape through to cockpit table entry do as to run the backbone cable as well. Joe said it might be easier to pull the headlining from Port aft room then drill a hole to feed cable. This part upsets me because I know the headliner will never look the same again. I am betting there is an inline fuse where Raymarine cable is spliced onto extension cable where it splits into 2 cables, one running nmea wires and one running the +/-. And all this happens between cockpit floor and headliner with no after thought of replacing fuses or working on wiring as in my case. All wiring was cable tied in factory so no chance of pulling through. Very frustrating and upsetting to have to damage a perfect boat for such a simple issue. I'm sure others on this site would have replaced electronics by now, I was hoping one might see my post :)
Cheers for all your help,
Craig

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When they installed mine, the RayMarine Tech took power and fused it from my Auto Pilot which is at the Helm.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The backbone adapter was done with the Auto Pilot too. So when you power your Auto Pilot, all works fine.
The Chart Plotter power draw is very low.
Jim...

PS: You can call Raymarine and they will tell you what you need and how to install.;)

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
thanks everyone but with the help of my wife jiggling mouse cable(stiff solar cable) that I greased up with you know what, we managed to get it through the small opening between cockpit deck and soft roof lining, enough for me to get another 1 meter line into the void and hook it then pull it through.
so happy not to have to pull the lining out and drill holes. Happy days. now to put boat back together and just have to wait for backbone cable to arrive to West Marine.
So you see the problem was not where or how to power the unit, the problem was getting the new feed, once spliced to original loom, through under the deck between the soft roof lining, into the stainless cockpit table leg and up into the Navpod.
thanks again, I love this forum to bounce ideas and vent frustrations. I do love my boat :)
Merry Christmas to all
Craig

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, too, Craig (and your wife). Glad to hear that you're getting things sorted out; always a good feeling.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Sorry I should mention, it's on a 49.
On the DC breaker box there is a pop out breaker labelled Seatalk
You might check that.
There are fairly good schematics for the 49 in the online docs
If you want specific tips on how to run a NG backbone on a 49, pm me. I know every inch of wiring and conduit on the boat