hello

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
new to hunter with a 2000 h290 and on lake onrario. anyone have any insights to this model?
thanks
Colin

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This forum has been very inactive for a number of years. You will most likely get a faster response if you post in the Midsized Hunter forum.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Can't tell you much about the 290. I have a 280 and love the boat. Have a new mainsail on order for next year. Planning a trip next year from Hamilton to Bay of Quinte. I've been out in 25-30 knot winds with a very blown out original mainsail and while quite a challenge the boat managed well.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a 1990 Hunter 280 On Lake Michigan.

my first boat, so I was a bit timid with her at first. She was a little tenderness but sailed well. Mine had a Yanmar 2GM20F diesel engine that ran great. I had Lazy Jacks on the main that were helpful taming the main.

As I grew more comfortable on her, windy days would not stop me from getting out on the lake…

IMG_0208_Original.jpeg

Is my hull clean?

Greg

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Looks clean to me. I always try to keep the heel down to 15 degrees (she sails much faster and the crew appreciates it). At times it is fun to crank her over just for the hell of though. On this pic, she it at around 15.
IMG_6506.jpeg

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
great pics...good to get this forum up and going again...CHP where do you keep yours? we are in NOTL and hope to move to EYC in the spring. Any Hunter info in the area re mtc , parts , technicians etc would be appreciated...
cheers
Colin

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
great pics...good to get this forum up and going again...CHP where do you keep yours? we are in NOTL and hope to move to EYC in the spring. Any Hunter info in the area re mtc , parts , technicians etc would be appreciated...
cheers
Colin
I'm in Lasalle Park Marina in Hamilton Bay. I've learned a lot from the forums here and I was an industrial mechanic so I fix all my systems myself. Coming from a trailer sailor this was a bit of a learning curve. In two seasons I have pretty much all the systems figured out and working well now. I can't wait to try the new mainsail next year. I still had the original sail on her.

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
sounds great CHP. have you ever dropped the rudder? we have a 1/2 in gap from the sked to the top of the rudder so planning on lowering it and checking the bushing. This was recommended by the surveyor and told it was not such a big job. Any tips would be appreciated.
cheers
Colin

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Haven't had to drop the rudder. I have about a quarter inch gap in mine. Just enough room to get in a screwdriver to scrape the zebra mussels out.
Have you checked how much up and down play there is in the rudder. I have a very very slight sideways movement. Sure not enough to be bothered with. As others have said here check with the moderators. They are a font of knowledge. I had a question about changing my end boom sheeting to mid boom. Found out from them that I would have to also change the boom as the mid boom needed a heavier boom.