Hello from a new Catalina 30 owner

Mjg407

Jan 12, 2020
Catalina 30 Coyote Point
Hello All, Michael here, the proud owner of a 1988 Catalina 30 which I just acquired. Was searching the forums and internets for some answers but couldn’t find it.

First, replacing many of my old incandescent bulbs with LED’s. Found the replacements for the slider lights in the main cabin, and the halogen light as well. Does anyone know of the replacement bulb for the square white lights in the head and forward berth? The ones I got from pep boys didnt work. Also, looking at replacing the navigation table chart light bulb, but having a heck of a time getting the bulb out, any advice would be welcome.

Next, the main cabin area has window shades, but none of the port hole style windows do. Any over the counter solutions (I dont know if suction cup style shades would work. But trying to sleep in once the morning sun hits is not easy. Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I bought my C30 just over a year ago (#2462 from 1982).

Here are some websites you MUST check out:

Catalina30.com
Old and not terribly well maintained. However, the tech library is AWESOME!

Catalina30@groups.io | Topics
This is THE current place for C30 owners. Get to know the folks on this forum (register of course so you can post things there). The collective wisdom is pretty cool. When I am unsure, I don't hesitate to ask. I get a lot of answers. Most are excellent; others I question. Go back and READ READ READ the recent (and also old) stuff. You'll quickly get an idea of the info there. Be sure to check out the "files" and "wiki" sections. Tons of good info--original engine manuals, factory recommended repairs, etc. Wow.

There is also a C30 Facebook group I understand. I'm not a part of that. Lastly, the Catalina 34 folks are active (C34.org) and their boats share MANY of the same parts as the C30.

LIGHT BULB:
Largest supplier of Catalina Yacht parts in the country
is perhaps the single largest collection of original factory parts for Catalina sailboats. This is NOT the actual Catalina factory, but they source and sell OEM parts. If you carefully search, then you will find the LED replacement bulbs for your square fixtures. I bought several of these bulbs from Catalina Direct ("CD") and they work fine. If you really dig, then you will be able to find similar bulbs elsewhere cheaper. Sometimes, CD can't be beat (lifelines and shroud rigging comes to mind). Other times, it's way cheaper to go elsewhere (like lighting). That said, I frequently use CD because they are ALWAYS helpful and super knowledgeable on the phone. I should also mention to check the store portion of this SailboatOwners site we're using now.--they also sell bulbs.

WINDOW SHADES:
Do you mean the smaller windows in the head and over the hanging locker? If so, then try to copy then curtains that cover the larger windows. If you sew at all, then curtains are easy. Sailrite.com sells the "official boat curtain hardware" (little pegs that attach to the fabric and then thread into the curtain track). Get the fabric anywhere.

A friend of mine made a custom DIY solution. He bought small diameter tubular curtain rods (probably Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, etc.). He screwed little mounting brackets that fit the rods right into the interior of the boat and then sewed basic curtains with a "channel" along the top and bottom into which the rods thread.

If you meant the ports in the cabin top ("roof"), then I can send a picture of something that I did that may be of help.

• Helpful

Mjg407

Jan 12, 2020
Catalina 30 Coyote Point
Thank you so much. No I meant the two on the starboard side and the one in the head and port side

Jan 26, 2019
Hope to see you on the groups.io forum. Be sure to introduce yourself the first time you post.

Josh Norten
s/v Esperanza
1982 Catalina 30 SR, #2462
Universal Diesel 5411

Mjg407

Jan 12, 2020
Catalina 30 Coyote Point
Hope to see you on the groups.io forum. Be sure to introduce yourself the first time you post.

Josh Norten
s/v Esperanza
1982 Catalina 30 SR, #2462
Universal Diesel 5411
Sorry about that, maybe I’m a bit daft but wasn’t sure what forum to post my introduction in. Thanks.
Michael

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The wiring might be "backwards" in some of the sockets, and some led bulbs are polarity sensitive. An incandescent build dosen't care which way the power comes from, but a led certainly does.

Mjg407

Jan 12, 2020
Catalina 30 Coyote Point
I have replaced all the slider bulbs now with leds and thanks, it took me a bit to figure out the polarity issue. Any recommendations for replacement fixtures that don’t look so 1980’s? Been looking through amazon for 12v replacements

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Find something you like that has the same base footprint, so it doesn't look "replaced".

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your 88 C30 as much as I have. I bought Papillon an 88 tall rig / bow sprit on mothers day in 1998 and in 22 years have never regretted it. I was able to find LED's for all of my incandescents including the running lights and it made a huge difference in the power used

Oct 11, 2019
Catalina 30TRBS New Bern
I cur reflectix to fit my curtainless windows. have it held in with suction cups. keeps the temp down and shields the cushions from the UV.

Mjg407

Jan 12, 2020
Catalina 30 Coyote Point
I was cutting some reflectix but was having a hard time getting it to fit around the latches that close the window. The suction cup is a good idea.

mll

Oct 17, 2019
Catalina 22 Wheeler Lake
I just replaced all the exterior lights with led's. The steaming light is polarity sensitive, all the others a not polarity sensitive, just be sure to order the right length.

heidi

Feb 15, 2021
catalina 30 marina del ray
Does anyone have a link or a pdf of a C30 1982 owners manual or blueprints? Having a hard time finding those.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I have replaced all the slider bulbs now with leds and thanks, it took me a bit to figure out the polarity issue. Any recommendations for replacement fixtures that don’t look so 1980’s? Been looking through amazon for 12v replacements
I replaced all my light fixtures with LED from Defender.com and love them. The new lights are bright, modern, and if you flip the switch to the right they are red so you can have them on at night whilst sailing. I'll look and see if I can find the exact ones I got.

Jan 26, 2019
Does anyone have a link or a pdf of a C30 1982 owners manual or blueprints? Having a hard time finding those.
Try the first two links in post #2 of this thread. You will find what you need. I have #2462, also a 1982. If you are not on the Facebook group, that is where a TON of C30 discussion happens. Groups.io a moderate amount of activity. Both sites a good source of all things C30.