Hello all

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Greg, I live near Missoula, MT and I own 2 Clark San Juan 21's. I've been sailing since 2019 when my wife bought me a seat in an ASA101 course for Father's day.
I actually bought the first SJ21 (Orbweaver, hull #72) in 2018, and slowly worked through the winter getting her back into sailing shape. A previous owner had snapped her mast right at the spreaders and done a workable if not pretty repair. Anyway, we sailed her several times in the summer of 2019 and had a blast. However, I've wanted to replace the mast ever since I bought her. A couple weeks ago another SJ21 (hull #3) came up for sale for about 1/3 the price of a new mast, so I bought her as well. So now I have 2 SJ21's although #3 is most likely scrap because the deck has a couple soft spots. I didn't really buy her to restore, more for the mast. Oh, and the little Johnson 3.3hp outboard and 5 sails in very good condition that where also included.
Anywho, I'm still very much learning how to rig and sail and having a blast while doing so. :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
WELCOME aboard, Orbweaver! Lots of good info I the "Downloads" and lots of good folks here..
Have sailed a SJ 21 a few times many years ago and remember it to be a nice sailing boat.. Congrats and good luck with the restoration..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Smart move buying an older second boat for parts. Sounds like you got a good deal in the process.

:thumbup:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome aboard, Orbweaver. This is the place to be. You have chosen wisely and a very nice first couple of posts. That looks like a great boat for day sailing and camping, as well as learning on.

The first Orbweaver I ever saw was on a little spoil island I sailed my Hobie cat to just off Key West. I nearly walked right into him face first, while exploring the island. Her web stretched for about ten feet to either side and she was hanging at face height right in the middle. Startling:yikes:.

Have fun and keep us posted.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yep.
Very big ones.
banana-spider-size.jpg

This one is a golden silk orb weaver, the type I ran (almost) into. There are smaller types, but they are all pretty big.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 3, 2020
Yep, the spare boat came with everything. Actually more than Orbweaver did: I only got a main, jib and genoa with Orbweaver. This latest one came with main, jib, 2 genoas, spinnaker and two spin poles, a bunch of fenders and throwables.

That golden silk orb weaver is impressive! The ones we have around here are about half that size, not sure what exactly but their hind end is much larger than the rest of the body. They're actually pretty cool spiders, they eat wasps so I'm OK with them staying around!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Those were all over my grandfathers farm when I was a kid

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They are a variety of spiders named for the shape of their egg sack.

We have them here too

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Welcome. We have them down here as well. I usually don't mind them, except for when I forget where they are and walk face first into a web. The web is surprisingly strong, and having a big spider on your head, well, there's nothing quite like it.

Looks like you scored big on the purchase. That's quite a haul, especially considering you were only looking for a mast.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nice sailing boats. It was a wet ride but fast for it's class. There used to be a real good forum exclusive for San Juans see if it it still out there.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do you have the British winches with a slot in the bottom? You can use any flat piece of metal that fits in the slot as a winch handle to crank back and forth.

Apr 3, 2020
Benny, #3 has the kind were the handle goes down in a socket from the top (and no handle). Orbweaver has the slot and the handle, but I've never actually needed the winches.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your 2 new to you boats! The first run in I ever had with Orb spiders was the day my brother and I were walking between the rows of trees in an orange grove, jump shooting whatever rabbits or doves we could kick up. I heard the most terrified scream followed by 2 quick shots and ran over to my brother thinking he had been snake bit, only to find he had walked face first into a web and like posted above: a face full of giant spider WILL make you lose your mind.....