Heliatos solar water heater

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
met a gentleman who had one of these this summer…… he was raving about it. does sound good. Anybody use this / experience.

thanks
Greg

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
No personal experience with it. For boats, they say it’s designed to work with a marine water heater. Unless you don’t run your engine for days it seems not worth the cost or installation to me. Might be interesting for those who really do cruise without running their engine for days at a time.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
As this gentleman explained it every single day while at anchor he has a nice hot shower.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
But you would have to make room for the additional panels and for an 11 gallon tank which I have they say it would take three panels which is a lot of space

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Try it and report back. I'd be interested in learning more.

Just a factoid: solar hot water systems were among the earliest successful solar installations we used to do back in the '70's when going off grid was a thing to do. Simple, robust, inexpensive and worked pretty reliably. Of course that was in the housing market, not marine... Don't really see why that would matter though.

dj

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I use solar shower bags religiously on my boat. Problem most times the water is too hot so add a kettle of cold.but they are great.

Though would be nice to have it plumbed into the system.

greg