Heaving to

Mar 18, 2013
Hunter 49 Caribbean
As anyone tried this with BR rig. I am fascinated by it when reading books about sailors that deploy this technique often. How would I do it effectively?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Piece of cake. Let out the main until it's barely off the spreaders, or drop it altogether.

Practice makes perfect.

Mar 18, 2013
Hunter 49 Caribbean
I am not exactly clear on what you meant justsomeguy
I would like to know on the br rig and I want to heave to in heavy weather what are I doing with main, jib, rudder, and securing main outboard etc. Anyone with hunter and br rig done this?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Let's say you're on a port tack. You start to come about, you release the mainsheet, but keep the jib cleated.

Allow the mainsail to flog or furl it away, keeping it off your spreaders.

After coming through the wind, your jib will backwind, and then, if you have wheel steering, you'll spin the helm hard into the wind and tie it off.

With a tiller, you'd put the tiller hard over to the lee, and tie it off.

Every boat will react differently however, which is why it's good to practice.

Mar 18, 2013
Hunter 49 Caribbean
Thanks for explanation. So you are saying it can be achieved without mainsail at all?
Also my job is self tacking and very small.

That is why I would like to hear from someone who has this rig.

Thanks for your help

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for explanation. So you are saying it can be achieved without mainsail at all?
Also my job is self tacking and very small.

That is why I would like to hear from someone who has this rig.

Thanks for your help
You have reason to wonder. Highly fractional boats like yours often do not heave to well at all; the basic premise requires a fairly balanced sail plan. Your main is much bigger than your non-overlapping jib.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Took a look at the 49 drawings, heaving to is best done with full keel sailboats. You might try slow reaching. Where the boat is set up to go into irons and then fall off, head up and fall off again. This works on a moderate wind day, in heavy wind this may not suit your needs.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Heaving Too on my H376

I have practiced heaving too, and often do this with guests when it's time for lunch on a day sail while off the coast in San Diego. My H376 tends to head up, then fall off. Especially when the wind is over 13-14kts. I assume that has something to do with the big main sail. I have never tried it with a reefed main. Maybe it would balance out a little better.

It does take a little practice to find the right sweet spot.

Good luck Bob.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
...heaving to is best done with full keel sailboats. You might try slow reaching.
Simply not true. My C22, C25 and my C34 all heave to quite nicely, in various wind strengths from light to heavy (out in the ocean, too).

That's why everyone who says "Go out and try it!" is correct.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Heaving to in a Hunter

I have hove-to scores of times, maybe hundreds of times, for periods of time from 1/2 hour to several days. I have a P42, with a short bulb-wing keel. I have done it with a full genoa, partially-furled genoa, or my storm-staysail only. (All three configurations). Under each of these configurations I have had my mainsail completely tied off to the boom, partially reefed, or fully raised. When I have my mainsail up, I have had it secured fully amidships or at a very shallow angle using a preventer and the main sheet. I have also hove-to with a storm staysail and a storm trysail hoisted (no mainsail). In that configuration my trysail clew is tied off to the toerail, so it is not fully amidships.

I have found that I can heave-to under all these configurations. I think that if you go out and try it, you will find that your boat will heave to with most any configuration of your sails up. The only time I have had trouble is when the seas were high enough to create a wind shadow in the troughs, thus causing me to lose my heading and wallow.

When we heave-to we generally fluctuate between 30 and 60 degrees off the wind and make about 1.5 knots to headway on a quartering course. It's a great way to deal with bad weather. Whenever we heave-to we always ask ourselves why we didn't do it earlier.

Cheers,
Paul

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Attached is an explanation that might help. Read the section about the factors affecting heaving to and then go out and practice undervvarious conditions. You'll be surprised how smooth it becomes. Every boat differs. My 34 is masthead rigged. Depending on wind and sea conditions I've hove to with full jib (130) and main, partially furled jib and reefed main. Good luck

Attachments

Rob38

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 38 Severna Park MD
I have a 2005 Hunter 38 with a stock doyle verticle batten main and 110 jib. Hoving to is no problem and very simple to perform as described above. In 10-15 kt breezes I usually move almost perpendicular to the wind (slightly off a beam reach) at around .5 to 1 kt as measured by GPS. When you go out and give it a try, drop some bread crumbs (I turn on GPS tracking) and plot how you actually move in various sea states and wind conditions. As mentioned above, it's the only way to have lunch when guests are aboard.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Claude,

Thanks for the attachment, being able to print of with pictures will make it easier for the crew to understand the concepts and have a little more faith.

Mar 18, 2013
Hunter 49 Caribbean
Great info. The document is the best I've seen as an explanation and how to guide. I will be on boat in tortola next week and practice then report back.