Heater/Winterizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
We have been advised by several people that we should invest in a small portable heater to keep on board for the winter when we are away to take care of humidity and any low temperatures. We will appreciate comments regarding this idea and if it is a good idea, then what heater is the best?

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
We have been advised by several people that we should invest in a small portable heater to keep on board for the winter when we are away to take care of humidity and any low temperatures. We will appreciate comments regarding this idea and if it is a good idea, then what heater is the best?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Turbo fans!

John: Heaters draw a lot of amps. They have safety features but may not be the best solution if you are not around. If you are trying to keep dampness and mold/mildew at bay, I suggest you purchase a couple of the Turbo Fans. They are about $35-40, consume very little electricity and help the aformentioned problems at bay.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Turbo fans!

John: Heaters draw a lot of amps. They have safety features but may not be the best solution if you are not around. If you are trying to keep dampness and mold/mildew at bay, I suggest you purchase a couple of the Turbo Fans. They are about $35-40, consume very little electricity and help the aformentioned problems at bay.

J

Jim

I use a heater

I use a small ceramic heater in my boat it has a thermostat and runs most of the time when it is this cold out. I keep the engine cover off and leave the heater aimed at the engine a couple feet away. Keeps the inside of the boat dry and a little warm. The added benifit is that the engine is easy to start for those few nice days for a little sail. Using the heater will really help prevent mildew from forming. I also run another fan in the stern berth to help circulate the heat throughout the boat. Dont use an extension cord unless it is rated for the amps though.

J

Jim

I use a heater

I use a small ceramic heater in my boat it has a thermostat and runs most of the time when it is this cold out. I keep the engine cover off and leave the heater aimed at the engine a couple feet away. Keeps the inside of the boat dry and a little warm. The added benifit is that the engine is easy to start for those few nice days for a little sail. Using the heater will really help prevent mildew from forming. I also run another fan in the stern berth to help circulate the heat throughout the boat. Dont use an extension cord unless it is rated for the amps though.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Heater or Fan?

Easy answer. Use the heater if your power is included and not metered. If you pay extra for power use a fan

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Heater or Fan?

Easy answer. Use the heater if your power is included and not metered. If you pay extra for power use a fan

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
Heater

I use a ceramic heater with an adjustable thermostat. Everything is located in my engine compartment and the temp is set for 40 degrees. I doubt that it comes on too much as the lake water temp is around 50 degrees. I place a second heater in the galley that is set for around 35 degrees. I just don't want any hard freezes (less than 25 degrees)in my boat. The electricity cost is minimum compared to the cost of a boat.

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
Heater

I use a ceramic heater with an adjustable thermostat. Everything is located in my engine compartment and the temp is set for 40 degrees. I doubt that it comes on too much as the lake water temp is around 50 degrees. I place a second heater in the galley that is set for around 35 degrees. I just don't want any hard freezes (less than 25 degrees)in my boat. The electricity cost is minimum compared to the cost of a boat.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
My marina charges a flat rate so I crank it up.

I use a ceramic too. The boat is toasty warm all the time. She really likes it.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
My marina charges a flat rate so I crank it up.

I use a ceramic too. The boat is toasty warm all the time. She really likes it.

J

JIM

DEHUMIDIFIER

ANYONE USE A DEHUMIDIFIER ?? SO FAR SO GOOD AS IVE BEEN USING ONE A YEAR

J

JIM

DEHUMIDIFIER

ANYONE USE A DEHUMIDIFIER ?? SO FAR SO GOOD AS IVE BEEN USING ONE A YEAR

Ivan

May 17, 2004
Hunter 356 Solomons MD
Jim: How small is the dehumidifier?

I would like to invest in a small dehumidier, but it has to be smaller than the house-sized units usually availlable in harware stores. How small is the unit you use? Thanks Ivan Bekey H356 #157 "Victoria'

Ivan

May 17, 2004
Hunter 356 Solomons MD
Jim: How small is the dehumidifier?

I would like to invest in a small dehumidier, but it has to be smaller than the house-sized units usually availlable in harware stores. How small is the unit you use? Thanks Ivan Bekey H356 #157 "Victoria'

J

jim

dehumifier

Ive got a 40 pt goldstar, I leave it on the counter top with the drain ported into the sink, and when under way it stores under the nav table.

J

jim

dehumifier

Ive got a 40 pt goldstar, I leave it on the counter top with the drain ported into the sink, and when under way it stores under the nav table.

J

JOE

DRY BOAT

THE MAIN IDEA IS TO PREVENT WATER FROM ENTERING THE BOAT! MY BOATS ARE DRY BOATS AND I NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH MOISTUER INSIDE. I HAVE A DRIPLESS STUFFING BOX AND MY BILGE IS ALWAYS DRY. KEEP THE BILGE DRY AND YOUR BOAT WILL ALWAYS STAY CLEAN AND FRESH SMELLING!!!!!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 34 Oriental, NC
Windchaser Dehumidifier

I have been using one of these on my Hunter 34 for several months now. I modified it to drain into my vanity sink. Seems to work like a charm and it is small enough to tuck into the cabinet under the vanity when we take the boat out. I bought mine from e-bay, but not from this seller. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.