Heat shielding for starter motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Kluthe

I've recently had trouble re-starting my diesel after its been running awhile. I can start and stop it and start it and stop it ad nauseum. However, if I run it as little as 30 minutes in weather greater than 75 or so degrees fahrenheit, stop it for a few minutes, an hour or so, all I get when time to re start is a groan from the starter. At first I thought maybe the altenator was draining my batteries. But eight hours later, vroom, the engine started right up without any charging. I talked with a friend and he thought maybe my starter was overheating. I talked with the guys at my local auto parts store and they agreed. Will shielding help or do I need to carry a can of refrigerant or liquid nitrogen? Do I need to ventilate the engine compartment? Add a fan? What? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. Sincerely, Kevin

R

Richard Randall

hot starter

I suspect you've got a loose cable connection, either at the battery or at the starter motor. It is often (always?) over 90 degrees here in Galveston Bay in the summer, and I don't recall anyone having trouble starting their deisels, and I've not heard of anyone having to cool their starter motors (we have to cool ourselves a lot, but that's a different story altogether!) Batteries often "bounce back" somewhat if left for several hours after being discharged, so that could account for your ability to restart again after 8 hours. Check the cables to be sure they are tight and there is no corrosion on the terminals.

B

Bob Hogeman, C28#70 WindShadow

C28 starter problem

Check and clean the low current connections at the starter solenoid and at the inline fuse just ahead of that connection. This is a hot environment and with vibration these connections become oxidated and resistive. At least this was the problem on my M3-20 universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.