Heat exchanger zinc anode.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Wish everyone's having a fantastic season. My boat came with an Atomic 4, from posts online regarding zinc anodes i've learned that it is an inexpensive but necessary part, similar to spark plugs. Unfortunately engine diagram in manual doesn't show a heat exchanger nor location of the zinc anode. The PO killed himself about 6 wks ago, having failed to keep a log on engine has made me anxious because i can't find the zinc anode to replace and don't know if it is better to not use engine for rest of season. Why doesn't the manual show a heat exchanger and location of zinc anode?

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Most small engines have a zinc in the raw water side of the heat exchanger attached to the engine. Look there if there is one. I have no experience with gas atomics but diesels have antifreeze in the block and raw water in the heat exchanger hence the zinc is placed there.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Aye, it appears this block doesn't have a heat exchanger according to diagrams, i'm less anxious now. i like that i don't have that part to be co concerned with. Thanks for links, now have to figure out how to change oil whilst in slip. The boat also doesn't have zincs on rudder, haven't looked at shaft but will dive and check shaft zinc anode. Where exactly is it located on shaft? Can't find a diagram off bottom of boat detailing parts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Where exactly is it located on shaft?
Glad that the info was provided to reduce your concern about the motor zinc. I hesitated to respond when I learned that "Unfortunately engine diagram in manual doesn't show a heat exchanger nor location of the zinc anode. The PO killed himself about 6 wks ago" It worried me that you might be next.

The shaft will become evident as soon as you go beneath the waves. It will exit the hull between the keel and the rudder. It may or may not have a strut between the exit point on the hull and the prop. You put a zinc (choose one that matches the shaft size) in the open space along the shaft. You can put more than one if space allows.

My shaft is likely different than yours. This image will give you a little help. My shaft comes out of the hull at the back of the keel. The zinc is that silver shiny thing between the keel and the prop.
1631559657342.jpeg

Note the space between the zinc and the shaft thru the keel. There is a bearing in the keel that the shaft passes through that bearing is water cooled. You need a little space for the water to cool the bearing.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Thanks for the info, haul out this Sat., didn't sail much but learned so much. Looking forward to cosmetic work, fiberglass, bottom paint, deck a d hull painting. She looks 46, want her to look experienced but classy. Hoping next season i find a better home for her.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
No doubt, The bird of my life, no Catalina smile but PO never mentioned the damage on keel beneath shaft, how could've it happened? First haul out since buying last year, PO killed himself this summer, lot of questions unanswered.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
I guess - Anchor chain wrap damage.

Good that you have the boat on the hard. You can let the keel dry... Water likely has intruded on the keel.

A moisture meter running down the keel may indicate issues. When you have it "dry" then fiberglass patch, Fairing compound, repaint are indicated.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Thank you, think it would've affected shaft and prop, parts are intact, peculiar location, i imagined it would be more likely where the cat smile is, still would've bought it. Lot of cosmetic, gelcoat repairs and painting, should i do it before Jan.?

Oct 22, 2014
should i do it before Jan.?
It is not the month that causes me to do such repairs, it is the material and the weather.

Such repairs of fiberglass and gelcoat depend on a dry condition of the boat (no Moisture present) and a temperature of the material (air temps are nice, but part temps are critical). The resins cure within a certain temperature range. Chjeck the product you are working with. They have a Goldilocks range. (Not to hot - not to cold - just right.) outside that range they will either not cure or not adhere to the parts being repaired.

Regarding moisture. If the fiberglass has absorbed moisture, the resins will not cure. You need to dry our the boat area till you get the moisture out for most resin based products to properly adhere and cure.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
No doubt, am letting keel dry since it's likely water got into keel. What will be the best time to paint hull and bottom? Have to launch by April 15 2022.

Oct 22, 2014
What will be the best time to paint hull and bottom?
After you fix the fiberglass. But before you have to launch.
Here is a primer on cold weather and fiberglass work.

Depending on the paint you will be using. You should consult the paint manufacture to know how long after painting you can wait to splash. Some say 48 plus hours others say immediately...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What will be the best time to paint hull and bottom? Have to launch by April 15 2022.
Do check the data sheets for the paint you plan to use. The one I use (Pettit Vivid) can remain out of the water for as long as needed, but needs to be above 50 degrees to cure. That can be pretty limiting in the early spring. I usually try to jump on any day of warm weather in March.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Thank you, the west system kit will be used, imagine i need lots of filler, think of using mini rebar, it needs be a solid repair, no pockets, the lead doesn't show, hoping it will take couple of weeks for an almost dry keel, is there a way to measure quantity of water in keel? The yard starts launching 15 April, wish to launch sooner but too many boats around mine. Didn't know they shut down electric and water 1 Dec, haven't been to many yards but all 4 of the ones i've been to have electric, complimentary or reasonable fee. No shrinkwrap yet, will cover but need access to cabin, have to winterise engine, never used head or water tank. First haul out of her for me. Any suggestions on zinc anode kit for Catalina 30? Am not familiar and heard the rudder needs one. Catalina direct doesn't have a kit only the anodes for shaft and engine. Is removing all bottom paint necessary? appears they painted over another colour. Having fun thinking about all the forthcoming tasks, wish i could sleep aboard couple of nights/ week, thanks for the suggestions!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Any suggestions on zinc anode kit for Catalina 30? Am not familiar and heard the rudder needs one.
Rudder? Nope never. Where do you "hear" this carp?

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Ha, i hear so much carp from sailors that have more experience than me, i'm truly a novice, only few yrs. on my 1st boat, oday 25, the sailor that mentioned anode on rudder is young but decades sailing, he says, he also instructed me to remove backstay for a haul out that didn't happen, it hurt to do that but he was adamant and i'm not experienced, i've only sailed her for a year, need to fix so much it's fun, appears the Cat 30 has only a shaft zinc anode, the atomic 4 doesn't need the anode, where else do i put zinc anodes? Can a mast be centered on the hard? Want to replace shaft and prop, engine wiring harness, sparkplug cables, change oil, try to tune carb, paint the block, wish everyone a fantastic weekend