Heat Exchanger Overhaul

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
My first job for this year was an overhaul of the heat exchanger on my 3QM30. I removed the whole unit and first took it to a machine shop where they repaired threads on the tank for a thermostat housing bolt and one of the end cheek studs. They also welded an adapter for a temperature sender onto the thermostat housing.

Next it went to a radiator shop where they charged me $170, but it was well worth it. They not only cleaned the core to perfection but also cleaned the tank and end cheeks, re surfaced all gasket surfaces and painted it. There was no way I could ever have got that result myself.

Also got a new thermostat, O rings, gaskets and studs.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
I love it when you find someone that does a craftsmen's job in his trade. I have never begrudged a mans price when you get a job result such as yours.
Ray

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Different engine make, but the last time I had to replace a HE, it cost about $300.
Yours looks really great.
Way to go!

Loren

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i have taken hes to radiator shops and to boiler shops to rebuild.. less than 200 usd, and the one i just had rebuilt was under 50 usd...... but i am in the best part of mexico for engine repair and injector pump rebuilding.... best quality and least pricing....