Headstay too short?

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I just had all new wire installed. Headstay, shrouds, mids, lowers and backstay w/legs.
Old furler off and new furler installed.
Rigger goes to attach second backstay leg it's 4-6" too short. Spin turnbuckles all the way open still doesn't reach.
Detach headstay, tilt rig back to attach legs with turnbuckles maxed out, slide furling unit up to access turnbuckle within, max that out and headstay is still 1/2" too short.
Riggers solution is to now attach a 2nd toggle to bottom of headstay. Which he wants to do day after tomorrow.
I look in Facnor furler manuel when I get home and there's a picture clearly showing that config with a big red "X" through it.
See page 10 http://www.facnor.com/uk/technical_.../fichiers/29160040010_c_notice_fd2019_web.pdf
This seems wrong. If the old headstay was measured properly shouldn't the new headstay plug right in with lower turnbuckle set so it can be adjusted an equal distance longer or shorter to adust rake?
In addition, the the upper eye was too small for the toggle pin so after attempting to drill out the eye 1mm with a hand drill (yup) rigger simply found a smaller pin. Does that not reduce the contact footprint of pin in toggle and is that an issue down the miles?
I think the rigger didn't measure right and should fab a new forestay.
Am I being unreasonable?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The rigger might have cut the forestay too short, it probably won't be the first or last time that happens.

The photo in the manual shows the correct and incorrect way of attaching the toggle. Look closely at the photos, the correct orientation is for the hole in the toggle at the open end to be attached to stem head fitting and hanging below the arms (Part R). The photo with the X shows the toggle upside down.

If the Rigger installed the toggle upside down, then the forestay would be effectively shortened. It would seem that this might be a common error as the manual specifically calls it out. If the toggle is installed correctly adding a second toggle would be an acceptable alternative so long as it allows the forestay to articulate properly.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
The photo in the manual shows the correct and incorrect way of attaching the toggle. Look closely at the photos, the correct orientation is for the hole in the toggle at the open end to be attached to stem head fitting and hanging below the arms (Part R). The photo with the X shows the toggle upside down.
Toggle is installed correctly, rigger wants to install a second one inverted (one up, one down) to lengthen forestay and inch or so.
His first idea was to replace lower eye bolt with an eye bolt with longer stem.
Will measure rake tomorrow, looks pretty much straight up and down to me now. Maybe 6", but I need 12". Minimum.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My 2 cents..... have him do it correctly, as pictured in the manual. At his expense, if he need to cut a new forestay. You wouldn't let your car mechanic cut corners, or your gardener, or your doctor, or your kids when they take a job for someone else.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
He should cut a new forestay. What will it cost him to correct? Probably like $50.00 with the swaging. If he measured or cut wrong and won't stand behind his work, I would find another rigger

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Measure twice, cut once. It sounds like that axiom wasn't followed. Before he makes a new forestay, make sure he is clear about how much rake you want. He may have a different assumption.

About the pin at the upper eye ... what was the source? I think it would depend on which component is wrongly sized. Perhaps the eye is sized correctly and the pin has too much diameter. I would find it very odd when 2 brand new components are improperly matched. That just suggests carelessness - which would be pretty disturbing to me in this circumstance, coming from a professional. That just seems like a DIY mistake. I would try to find out which one of the two components isn't sized correctly & get an explanation.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
something is obviously wrong! Show you rigger the installation manual showing this is incorrect.
Note that head stay are under tremendous loads and you don't want to find this out the hard way!
Engineers spent a lot of time writing that owners manual and for some reason felt it neasesary to put a big X on double turnbuckles. Sounds like the reason is well above the riggers pay grade. Do it right or find another rigger.

Hope it helps

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Talked to rigger today, (not the guy who was doing the work but the guy who owns company, pretty sure it's just the two of them) and he no push-back agreed to re-do headstay and replace upper toggle/pin w/new that matched up to swage eye.