Headsail trim

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I was on a friend's boat recently and noticed an odd trim condition. There are three sets of telltales equally spaced vertically along the length of the luff of the sail (typical arrangement). The upper and lower windward telltales would consistently fly properly while the center telltale would lift while going upwind or slightly off the wind. We didn't try to correct it but there was some discussion about it at the end of the day. I thought there was an excessive amount of headsail sag. What do you think would cause this type of trim condition?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What boat and what headsail??

Yes sag can have that effect. Excess sag in the middle of the head stay can have the middle of the headsail sail in a relative knock. Which means that the top and bottom of the sail are good and the middle Is almost ready to luff.

Backstay and halyard tension!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The boat was a 1983 36' Morgan Nelson Marek. My guess is that the headsail was a 135-140%. Halyard tension looked fine but the backstay did not have an adjuster so changing tension would have to be done at the turnbuckle. I was wondering how much luff curve would a sail maker design for in a boat this size. "I" dimension of 48.4'

May 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Nockamixon
Can someone recommend a good book on sail trim? After knocking about in my '81 C22 for 5 years, I'm ready to learn how to fine tune for better speed. Not a racer, but would like to learn how to tweak the rig. Thanks