Headsail furler problem

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Over the winter I had a new headsail made. The luff is about 6 inches shorter then the one I’m replacing. I’m having a problem with the halyard getting wrapped around the top of my harken furler. I originally thought it was the rode inside the drum. I replaced the furler rode and realized the problem was what I described. Im thinking of making a bridle (terminology?) between The sail and furler drum. I’m thinking that will raise the sail height and hopefully solve my problem. Has anyone else done this? The only alternative I can think of would be to add a block on the mast below where the halyard enters the mast. The first option seems a lot easier if it works.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The right way to lengthen the hoist of a sail is to add a strap of appropriate length to the head. The furler swivel attaches to the strap. The luff tape on the sail should be extended onto the strap, so the strap is attached to the foil when the sail is hoisted. A sailmaker would know how to handle this adjustment.

Dec 27, 2012
I tried to take a pic but the sunlight killed it. The halyard enters my mast on a internal sheave. The sheave is just a few inches maybe even a inch below the front stay. The front stay ru s through my furling system. The boat is a fractional rig. I think the system would be better if the sheave was an additional few inches lower. That way the halyard wouldn’t be so close to the furling system. With the shorter sail the halyard has more area to wrap. I was thinking if I add a short length of rope between the sail and drum it would allow the sail to raise to full extension which may allow less opportunity for the halyard to wrap at the top.

I was wondering if anyone else tried that method and if it worked for them. I would rather not climb the mast to add a block below the sheath.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd just make up pendant for the bottom. You'll have to adjust your sheet fairlead to suit, but if it's only a few inches I'd not be bothered to do this.
However, this is a MacGiver. If you don't find out why it is happening, you haven't solved the problem, just worked around it.

• Helpful
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
For only six inches, try a loop of 3/8' line tied with a square knot. If it furls ok, then replace the line with a short piece of stainless steel wire. My furler system installations have always had a halyard retainer installed on the mast below the sheave to ensure the proper open angle.

See the discussion of "pendants" and "halyard restrainer" on page 38 of the Harken IV manual.
here

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
For only six inches, try a loop of 3/8' line tied with a square knot. If it furls ok, then replace the line with a short piece of stainless steel wire. My furler system installations have always had a halyard retainer installed on the mast below the sheave to ensure the proper open angle.

See the discussion of "pendants" and "halyard restrainer" on page 38 of the Harken IV manual.
here

No need to make a wire anymore. Dynema with an eye splice on each side is lighter, easier and stronger.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As others have said a pendent at the bottom or the top would resolve this issue. Putting at the top lowers the center of effort of the sail. When we had our new headsail made we worked with the sail designer and decided to put a pendent on the bottom so the sail clears the bow pulpit when sailing off the wind.
IMG_20200425_170331640.jpg

Ours is made from strong nylon webbing and shackels.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'd just make up pendant ...
Yep! your idea of a "bridle" will work and capta got the vocab right. And a pendant will help you see under the sail.....

And since I'm on a vocab jag... the rode is the anchor line. :)

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for responses and terminology corrections. I must of had the sail up and down at least 6 times today. In the heat of the moment I couldn’t think of a solution. I drove halfway home and the pendant idea came to me.

Dec 27, 2012
Just wanted to update this post. I added a pendent to the bottom of the sail. I really like the results. The furler works as it should. The visibility from the cockpit has increased due to the sail positioned higher and the sail no longer rubs against the bow railing. Thanks for all the input.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You are now the resident expert!:thumbup:
Thanks for the update