Heads up if you have BoatUS/Geico insurance regarding ice/freeze policy endorsement

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 31 Deale
Just got my renewal, they changed the language, you are only covered if winterization is performed by a commercial marine facility. DIY'ers are out of luck. 11 years with them. I called them this morning when I got the renewal package, the rep said you couldn't prove that you did it and that Geico wouldn't cover it unless I had a paid receipt for the work.

They acknowledged the change and said the ice/freeze endorsement could be removed to save $25. I'll have to see what our marina mechanic will charge to winterize the Yanmar 2GM.

BoatUS gets an "F" for this policy change.

Bob Morningstar
1984 H31

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
unless I had a paid receipt for the work.
Well there you have it. The specific requirement. Paperwork...

Commercial Marine Service.​
Anywhere USA​
November 2021​
Receipt for work completed.... Winterization of Yanmar Diesel Serial# XXFFXX​
2 HOURS AT $125/HR... $250.00​
PAID IN FULL. NOVEMBER XX 2021.​

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not an uncommon exclusion. And given the numerous stories we see here about how people improperly winterize, the insurace company might be doing a big favor to some by requiring this.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I think they should do the same thing for folks who leave all of their canvas out for a hurricane.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just got my renewal, they changed the language, you are only covered if winterization is performed by a commercial marine facility. DIY'ers are out of luck. 11 years with them. I called them this morning when I got the renewal package, the rep said you couldn't prove that you did it and that Geico wouldn't cover it unless I had a paid receipt for the work.

They acknowledged the change and said the ice/freeze endorsement could be removed to save $25. I'll have to see what our marina mechanic will charge to winterize the Yanmar 2GM.

BoatUS gets an "F" for this policy change.

Bob Morningstar
1984 H31
What else does the ice/freeze endorsement cover? I do my own winterizing, and don’t have an endorsement for ice/freezing (also not with BoatUS). If it only covers stuff I do (winterize engine, water system) I would drop the endorsement.

Greg

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
I gather from info here and elsewhere that boat insurance is increasingly difficult to find. It's not the field I would choose as an underwriter right now, given e.g. mass claims resulting from increased numbers of storms. I'll be interested in your comparison shopping results.

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
A gentleman who had purchased a boat in FL wanted to hire me to move his yacht to the Chesapeake Bay. I always ask to be added as a named insured for a yacht delivery. However, he had BoatUS/Geico insurance and they would NOT cover the voyage if there was a paid captain aboard. Their argument was that the paid captain made it a commerical voyage and he only had a recreational policy. They suggested he just get some friends and do it himself. What...??? I would think having a licensed captain move your boat (over a significant and unfamiliar distance) would be preferable to the insurance company versus just a bunch of guys with no particular experience... I did not take the job.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I think they should do the same thing for folks who leave all of their canvas out for a hurricane.
While I agree people should remove canvass, I think it's TERRIBLE idea to require a commercial service to do the work or to deny coverage for those who can't get it done! Ever try to get last-minute help when everyone else wants the same thing? What if you can afford a boat but can't afford to pay someone?
Life happens, and there could be many good reasons an owner can't get his/her boat stripped in time for a named storm (not to mention unnamed storm). E.G. Business travel and nobody to call who is available/capable, or an illness/injury or family emergency. The list could go on.
Don't be a curmudgeon. :badbad:

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
While I agree people should remove canvass, I think it's TERRIBLE idea to require a commercial service to do the work or to deny coverage for those who can't get it done! Ever try to get last-minute help when everyone else wants the same thing? What if you can afford a boat but can't afford to pay someone?
Life happens, and there could be many good reasons an owner can't get his/her boat stripped in time for a named storm (not to mention unnamed storm). E.G. Business travel and nobody to call who is available/capable, or an illness/injury or family emergency. The list could go on.
Don't be a curmudgeon. :badbad:
I'm not intend to infer requiring commercial services to remove canvas prior to a storm.
I'd suggest companies not pay for canvas left up during a hurricane or tropical storm. The money paid to replace the canvas comes from everyone else who pays for the coverage.

If during the storm season you are going to be away from your boat make arraignments, remove it before hand or take the risk on your own dime.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@Rick Webb take a look at the video I linked in this prior post Hurricane Isaias <--- TS Isaias <--- PTC 9 <--- Invest 92L or Hurricane Isaias <--- TS Isaias <--- PTC 9 <--- Invest 92L

The Alerion (boat) in front of mine in the video had his headsail blow out. Should the insurance company pay for the Alerion's shredded headsail?
You can see I had wrapped the spinnaker halyard around my genoa. I did wrap the mainsail cover with extra line, but hadn't stripped my mainsail either. The boat was on a mooring, will always point windward, my full-battened mainsail weighs over #100, and I thought the extra wraps are probably good enough up to 90+ MPH.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
INSCO's want invoices for winterization (And now maybe removing canvas and sails) to prove that it was done. I would hope, but don't expect, they would accept time and dated photos for the canvas and sail removal. I don't see that working for winterization of engine and water systems.
I would generally have the yard do the engine anyway because I didn't want them pointing the finger at me in the Spring if my engine didn't start in the launch well. They would charge to move the boat to my slip and that would about cover the winterization of the engine.