Headroom in Lancer 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2009
n/a n/a n/a
Hi,

I'm presently shopping a sailboat on internet and I found a Lancer 36 that seem to be a pretty nice unit. I know that the file are saying 6+ for the headroom for a Lancer 36. But I'm 6'2''. So I want to know if this boat can be comfortable for a man like me that want to live aboard. And about the bed size?

I'll appreciate to have an idea before to spend money in travel to go see it.

thanks

Mar 8, 2009
2 36 Tacoma
Totally biased response from a Lancer 36 owner.
I am 5 foot 11 inches. My family (wife and two kids) and I spend every weekend on our boat. We leave Fri night and come back Sun pm. We have done week long trips and will be doing a 2 week cruise this year. The boat is very comfortable for us. In fact, we prefer the different layout over traditional designs. The design sacrifices sleeping headroom for living space. The twin double berths in the stern are about 6' 2" or so (but I haven't measured) and the forward saloon can be made into very comfy singles (or a massive double ala September Sea - google to see what is possible with this boat).

We bought our boat about a year ago. I nearly didn't buy it due to my concerns about headroom and the relative lack of space when compared to a Catalina 36 that we were also looking at. The test sails and relative upkeep of the two boats swayed me toward the Lancer. GOOD DECISION!

Admitedly our boat was a member of the family for our previous owners (who only sold due to death) and in good condition but we have sailed her in all kinds of conditions since then and our love grows......

Fast, light boat, well constructed, superb interior quality and handles like a lady in gale/storm conditions (like last weekend). We couldn't ask for more.

Apr 22, 2009
Lancer 36 Vancouver, BC
Headroom

Hi Labatt50,

Tough to say. I am 6'0 and am quite comfortable living on board my Lancer. My brother is 6'1 and didn't seem uncomfortable when visiting me for a week aboard my Lancer 36. But at 6'2, your head would touch the ceiling in quite a few places, and you'd have to duck entering and exiting the head. My guess is that at your height, this boat would be at the limit of your comfort, but ultimately you are the only person who can answer this question. As for the beds, there is enough length to accomodate you in the berths on this vessel.

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm presently shopping a sailboat on internet and I found a Lancer 36 that seem to be a pretty nice unit. I know that the file are saying 6+ for the headroom for a Lancer 36. But I'm 6'2''. So I want to know if this boat can be comfortable for a man like me that want to live aboard. And about the bed size?

I'll appreciate to have an idea before to spend money in travel to go see it.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.