Headliner Replacement on a 2004 Hunter 36

bris59

Jul 5, 2019
Hunter 36 Legend Houston
Hi. I ould use some advice here. I need to replace my headliner. I have found the same material and there are several good You Tube videos on how it fits into the strips in the overhead. However, how does it attach near the Lewmar hatch and portholes in the main salon? Do I need to remove the porthole and the hatch? Thank you!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
If you take the inside from off you will see that they used staple gun with many stables around holding
the headliner material and forget around lites and should be same around bigger windows.
Nick

bris59

Jul 5, 2019
Hunter 36 Legend Houston
If you take the inside from off you will see that they used staple gun with many stables around holding
the headliner material and forget around lites and should be same around bigger windows.
Nick
how does the lewmar hatch ring come off? Do you pry it or is it attached to the upper part so removing all the screws on the outside frees the part on the inside?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Check the Lewmar site. Your boat may have a Lewmar hatch with the aluminum inside flange as part of the frame extrusion. We have those. To remove the hatch you withdraw all of the fastenings on the flat part of the external flange. Then pry the hatch off. Heat may help to soften the old sealant under the flange. The larger threaded screws under the hinges often have nuts beneath, and the OEM install may have covered these with the headliner. There is an alternative Lewmar version of the same hatch with a flat flange on the outside, and separate trim - wood, plastic, fabric - around the spigot area to trim out the inside.